Muffler Fitting Question

NightStalker

Hey y'all,

I just recently picked up two Flowmaster 40's for my 1992 Cutlass Supreme SL. My brother in-law, who happens to be a mechanic was over today while I was at work, and picked up one of the mufflers. According to him, they aren't going to fit onto my car. The mufflers both have a 2.25" Inlet on the right side, and a 2.25" outlet centered at the back of the muffler. The inlets/outlets match up with my car, so I'm not exactly sure how he came to this conclusion. Any guesses or advice?

Alright, thats what I was thinking, just wanted a second or third opinion on the matter. I'll be sure to inform him exactly how full of shit he is, and of course relish the opportunity to laugh in his face.

Thanks,

Your friendly neighbor :lol:

The problem is that you need 2" inlet and outlet, not 2.25". The pipe diameter drops down to 2" after the Y. I wouldn't laugh at him or it will be him who does the laughing when you say that the people on here all said they will fit. :lol:

Also, the length of them is important. My magnaflows have a 14" body length and 20" overall length. They needed to be shortened to get them to fit. You shouldn't get mufflers that have longer than a 14" body.

The problem is that you need 2" inlet and outlet, not 2.25". The pipe diameter drops down to 2" after the Y. I wouldn't laugh at him or it will be him who does the laughing when you say that the people on here all said they will fit. :lol:

how do you know he has dual exhaust? he didn't say in that post but forgive me if he said so in a previous post. still, he can always get reducers for what, a couple bucks?

Also, the length of them is important. My magnaflows have a 14" body length and 20" overall length. They needed to be shortened to get them to fit. You shouldn't get mufflers that have longer than a 14" body.

i've posted this picture before, but i'll post it again

my flowmasters don't have any clearance or fitting problems. flowmaster 40's have a 13" case length

527087_17_full.jpg[/img]

They will still fit..just need some pipe adapters to put them on if you're using the stock piping. I guess his brother-in-law doesn't have exhaust supplies where he works. Nightstalker, just get them put on at any shop that does exhaust work and you'll be fine.

I assumed he had dual exhaust because he said in the orginal post that he had picked up 2 Flowmaster 40's. However, it is possible that he is getting his own system made with a custom 2.25" Y pipe. And I never said pipe adapters wouldn't work, but it is obviously much easier if you have the right diameter mufflers in the first place. Cuts down on unnecessary welds. 4 of them if reusing the factory tips.

he said they have one outlet, so he'll have to either have single tips like i do, or obvioulsy split the tailpipe into 2 pipes after the mufflers, however the tailpipe has to bend down to clear the muffler if the car is a single exhaust without cutouts, so the tips might stick out kind of far

I know a owner of a muffler shop and he told me that the tail pipe will make a dfference in the sound a lil. Thats why ricers are so loud cuz they have no tail pipe, just a muffler then no tail pipe

I know a owner of a muffler shop and he told me that the tail pipe will make a dfference in the sound a lil. Thats why ricers are so loud cuz they have no tail pipe, just a muffler then no tail pipe

i bet their crap ass APC mufflers have more to do with the shitty sound