94 chip

dohc v6

This could be a stupid question, but why dont you 94-95 guys swap in 91-93 ECUs so u can use the chips? I think the tranny pins are different, but that can always be changed.

-Jeff

This could be a stupid question, but why dont you 94-95 guys swap in 91-93 ECUs so u can use the chips? I think the tranny pins are different, but that can always be changed.

-Jeff

Interesting, is there a writeup for this anywhere? I would be most interested in being able to switch to a pre-94 unit, because that means I could swap in a 5 speed chip with ease if I ever get around to doing the swap.

a 94+ motor has more sensors (cam position, MAF, ETC) then a 91-93, and with a 93 harness and ECU, the sensors do not get used and the engine runs fine.

Im not seeing why u can swap ECUs.

-Jeff

i thought that the chips use to be 119. now they are upo to 149. is there any way when they come out with the 94 chip we can get a group discount

Ive thought about switching over to the 93 so i can get a chip, but wouldnt you have to switch over to map?

Also, how would the tranny pins problem be fixed?

By the sounds of it, all you need to do is a bit of rewiring in order to use a 91-93' 5 speed chip. At least I would assume thats all that needs to be done since the same has been mentioned about using a 91-93' auto chip.

The real question is the 94 and 95 automatics were rated at 210hp where the 91-93 auto's were rated at 200hp so are you going to lose power by doing the switch? This may be a dumb question, but I've yet to read why the power of the motor was increased by 10hp in 94-95, and again by 5hp for 96-97'. Whats the verdict here?

Thanks Jeff. I haven't seen all three versions of the engine personally so I didn't know what the deal was exactly.

Has anyone done the chip rewire? Your results?

94-95 LQ1's have the same intakes and TB as 91-93............that stuff didn't change until 96.

The power upgrade was supposedly due to going to SFI.

Regardless of what GM says though, I'm pretty certain that they didn't gain a full 10hp from that...........early cars dyno pretty close to later ones.