son of a.......

jus2sweetregal

damn it. i just got my car back from the body shop two days ago. now this happens-my turn signals wont work or my rear stop lights. the high mount stop light still works though. my hazards still work too. i replaced the turn signal flasher. still no worky. now im stumped. all my fuses are good. ive been lookin at the schematics for the wiring forever and i cant figure it out. the hazard flasher is good and the turn signal flasher is good since i replaced it. now the schematic shows a stop/torque converter clutch switch. i have no idea what or where this is. could that be the problem. the schematic shows that switch wired in with the high mount stop so then again it may not be the problem since that stop light works. PLEASE HELP ME. im so aggravated.

Ditto. I've had the same problem(s) and have posted about it many times before. I can give you some pointers if you have a 94-96...

but what does the turn signal switch have to do with my stop lights not workin. like i said my high mount works but my tail light stop does not.

Your outer brake lights are routed through the signal switch, the CHMSL is not, that's why it lights up when the others don't...

Guest TurboSedan

mine did exactly the same thing. i fixed it with CRC Quick Dry electrical contact cleaner and bent the copper contacts out a little. it did it again later and i could not fix it so i decided to swap in a complete "new" steering column. turn signal switches are expensive and even if i did get a new switch i don't know how i could install it without splicing wires :roll: GM did NOT make turn signal switch replacement easy....

i got a column from a j/y '93 Lumina and it works great....the Lumina wheel looks funny in a Cutlass tho - i haven't gotten around to swapping the wheel yet even tho i have a steering wheel puller.

well guys i got it. a piece of my hazard button (which is on the top of the column) broke off inside the hazard switch preventing the switch from fully disengaging which then prevented everything from working properly. when i was lookin at the schematic i figured out it wasnt going back to the normal position for some reason and so i pulled everything out and looked at the hazard switch and found the little broken piece in there. thanks for everyones input.