Are my rear brakes screwed up or is it just in my head

Hairdo12

this is for a 92 lumina. i have installed brand new rotors, pads, calipers, and e brake cables for both rear brakes. they do not over heat, i drove over 40 miles and the heat is fine. however the problem i am having is when they heat up to normal temp after driving like 5 miles the rear brakes thump from 12 mph down to zero. i have absolutly no idea as to what it could be. i have pulled the calipers off and reset the piston a couple of times now and have cranked the e brake like a thousand times to try and get things reset. the only thing i can think of is, there is the slightest/smallest play from side to side in the sliders... but i dont know. damn theses first gen brakes! any ideas?

this is for a 92 lumina. i have installed brand new rotors, pads, calipers, and e brake cables for both rear brakes. they do not over heat, i drove over 40 miles and the heat is fine. however the problem i am having is when they heat up to normal temp after driving like 5 miles the rear brakes thump from 12 mph down to zero. i have absolutly no idea as to what it could be. i have pulled the calipers off and reset the piston a couple of times now and have cranked the e brake like a thousand times to try and get things reset. the only thing i can think of is, there is the slightest/smallest play from side to side in the sliders... but i dont know. damn theses first gen brakes! any ideas?

i say your rear rotors are already warped.

even if they're fairly new, our shitty brakes eat rotors

you might want to try OEM AC Delco pads from the dealer, they're easier on rotors than most aftermarket semimetallic or ceramic pads.

I'm going to have to keep it simple. It's probably your tires...

if it's a balancing issue you'd feel it at higher speeds, and it'd get worse as speeds increased

do you mean a flat spot or something?

not a flat spot, but sometimes tires will make a noise like that, right out of the factory. Could be a tread defect, rim could be slightly bent in or out....sometimes once the tires have more mileage on them it shuts up.