I got a baffeling fuel problem ??

Adam S.

At the track the car ran fine until the second session. There when I was flooring it the engine just shut off. Coasted off the line and tried to restart the engine, but nothing. I found that if I drain the fuel rail there is a lot of air and barely any fuel coming out of the fuel rail. I drained it couple of times than the car started right up and ran fine.

Next morning when the engine was cold the car started up right away, once the engine heated up it would not start again unless I let all the air out of the fuel rail and reprime it. It did not do it until the race track, but now it's doing it even when I'm daily driving it.

Has anyone heard of vapour lock on these engine? I'm guessing injectors, but why would they let air into an area that has 40psi of pressure? Could it be the return line? If anyone has heard of this mistery let me know what your tried. I'll replace the injectors first and go from there

Thanks Adam S.

I say the pump. I've never looked at a TGP pump (or any of the like for that matter) but is the pickup able to be removed? If not, I would say something is going on back there. IF NOT, you could have a hole in a fuel line. Happened to my brother. It wouldn't leak much fuel, but it sure did pull in alot of air. HTH.

Sounds like what happened to my car two years ago, a bad fuel pump. I had the same problems you're having. I had to replace my pump and filter. The Corvette fuel pump of the same year is in your tank.

mine did that a month before it shit the bed totally, a stock w-body 1 wont flow enough for a TGP, so u either need the TGP or a vette fuel pump.

-Jeff

a stock w-body 1 wont flow enough for a TGP, so u either need the TGP or a vette fuel pump.

-Jeff

That's funny because the one in my turbo 3.1 lumina says otherwise. It's been in there for over 5,000 miles. I planned on replacing it right away with the correct pump, but more important things have come up. :roll: :)

I would just buy a walbro pump if I needed a new one. Their 190ltr/hr pump is probably big enough...if not get the 255 ltr/hr.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

Vapor lock is very unlikely, the fuel rail is under high pressure, I forget what it is, but something like 40psi? I agree with the others on the fuel pump.

That's funny because the one in my turbo 3.1 lumina says otherwise.

Still logic would say to be careful running a smaller old NA pump till you upgrade it proper 8), maybe you are being carfeful, did not hear that part :? . Never skimp on fueling for a turbo engine (telling others this more so since this IS a public viewed forum :lol: ).

Jeff M

That's funny because the one in my turbo 3.1 lumina says otherwise.

Still logic would say to be careful running a smaller old NA pump till you upgrade it proper 8), maybe you are being carfeful, did not hear that part :? . Never skimp on fueling for a turbo engine (telling others this more so since this IS a public viewed forum :lol: ).

Jeff M

Yeah, I meant to change it right away. Unfortuneately like most things, it got put off because more important things came up. :)

So, you have a 450 HP TGP?? Did you get to run it in the 1/4 yet?? I'm thinking 11's should be pretty easy. I've never even seen a 660 in the 11's yet, just Curtis' turboz24 that runs's 12's. :twisted:

Alright I have changed the Fuel tank ( the baffles inside were broken) and use a Typhoon fuel pump, but it still does the same thing. Once the engine heats up and I use WOT the engine just shuts off, no SES light no running rough just like a switch off, and it would not start again. Would the computer do this? Well I'll install some new injectors and replace the regulator while I'm at it see if this helps

Regards Adam S.

Well replaced the injectors, regulator, fuel filter fuel pump, fuel tank and the problem still exists. For some reason when I go to 11 psi boost at WOT the engine shuts off. (I think this is the overboosting protection program in the computer), but what gets me is that I can't start until the engine cools down. This only happens at WOT. Is the MAP sensor the only thing that sees boost?

Thanks Adam S.

That's EXACTLY what happened w/ Sunshine. New 3800 Series 2 injectors and all is well. It was quite a bafflind situation. Ended up the injectors.

Jay - Was it difficult to install these injectors? Are the connections the same or did it involve wire splicing?

That's EXACTLY what happened w/ Sunshine. New 3800 Series 2 injectors and all is well. It was quite a bafflind situation. Ended up the injectors.

Jay - Was it difficult to install these injectors? Are the connections the same or did it involve wire splicing?

Ahhhh, bottom line is the injector size rating, needs to be close to the stock 22lb an hour rating of our car!!! Some have used 21 lbs and others 24 lbs, try to stay around the 21 to 23 range! Getting too big and the ECM will have a hard time compenstating (and I DON"T care if it "worked"), and too large will effect driveability as well as performance.

Jeff M

Every reference cross reference, and everyone I asked said the same thing. 22#'s. Jeff, where were you when I was asking? :lol: They are shorter, they don't seat in the lower intake as they should (But good enough for 16#'s) I'm working on lowering the rail w/ custom mounts and some maching work. I'm doing this for the Accels, which are the same length. No wiring difference though. When I get a laptop, I'll put it on the scanner and let you guys know what the computer thinks about them. :wink:

Every reference cross reference, and everyone I asked said the same thing. 22#'s.

That is all our buddy/rw89tgp needed to hear :lol: , never assume 8). If these are Bosch then how does the pintle spray patterns compare to the disc type of the Multecs :shock: . All these things to think about :lol: And no I don't mean good or bad, I mean the results of this spray pattern as it shoots into the intake port of the head :roll: :D . Then there is the injector constants in your chip for the OEM Multecs, might have to adjust them if the spray pattern/their linearity messes up driveability....I guess I am too picky :lol: .

Jeff M

I guess I am too picky :lol:

Yup! :lol: Okay, how about this. The car is(was) fast. Damn fast. Driveability is great. Runs and idles (still does that :wink: ) like a champ. Main reason why I did it was to test the length of the Accels. Also, the car took a shit, (imagine that, the injectors were bad :D ) and I had a 3800 S2 in the garage. Everyone but Jeff says they are 22#'s, so I used them. They worked great. I'm happy. Cept for my swiss cheese tranny. Must have been the injectors, or Kenny's bad chip that blew the tranny. :lol:

I guess I am too picky :lol:

Yup! :lol: Okay, how about this. The car is(was) fast. Damn fast. Driveability is great. Runs and idles (still does that :wink: ) like a champ. Main reason why I did it was to test the length of the Accels. Also, the car took a shit, (imagine that, the injectors were bad :D ) and I had a 3800 S2 in the garage. Everyone but Jeff says they are 22#'s, so I used them. They worked great. I'm happy. Cept for my swiss cheese tranny. Must have been the injectors, or Kenny's bad chip that blew the tranny. :lol:

:yak: :flip: :lol: :D in that order 8)

Jeff M