5 1/4" speaker opinions

Brian P

for the '95. I CAN'T get myself to chop up the existing speaker housing to get my 6.5's in! I need to know of a good all-around 4 ohm speaker. I'm not really interested in the Pioneer blue (cheap) models. Unless they sound better than the blue 4x6's?? Will be powered with stock CD/cass Oldsmobile stereo. Thanks

I ran Pioneers in mine when I first bought it. Sounded AWFUL! I returned them and picked up Eclipses all around. I love 'em. Sound is crisp and clear. They aren't the size you're looking at, but I love the way the Eclipse's sound.

They're run with a Pioneer deck now, but I ran them with a stock Delco deck originally and they still sounded excellent.

what model pioneers? the 6.5's I have from my other car (the white cone, 3-way) sounded excellent with the stock delco running it OR the Pioneer head unit. I can't get this model in 5.25 which friggin blows. All the pioneers I've heard with the blue cone sound just mediocre (4x6's at least.) Anyway...

I have no idea what model they were. The fronts were fine.. the rears sounded like they were blown. I don't know what it was.. it just wasn't even mediocre.. it was just bad. I may have had some return from a previous customer.. a bad batch.. I dunno.. it was just enough to turn me off from Pioneer as far as speakers go. I'm 100% happy with the Eclipses I traded them on. They were a lil pricey.. but, to me, it's justified.

There was no way possible to fit a 6 1/2" speaker in my Regal's stock housing even after hacking it apart. I cut out the bottom of the housing, but due to its larger diameter, the speaker still wouldn't fit. I ended up making some plates out of 3/8" plywood for the 6 1/2's using the stock housings as a template. I'm tellin' ya, the sound is a million times better with 6 1/2" separtates (powered off an amp.) The difference is night and day.

I've had some experience with the Pioneer "blue cones" before. I installed a pair in my sister-in-law's car, and they sounded crappier than the stock speakers! The magnets were puny and the cones were shallow with wimpy foam surrounds. Avoid them at all costs!

Have you had your door panels apart yet? I was wondering if the Cutty's had separate tweeters mounted in the stock housing. The stockers on my Regal had them. They were wired in parallel with the woofers and had a choke coil on the positive lead...

I had my door panel out twice (so much friggin easier than the '88-94 Cutlass, let me tell you) my car has the 4-speaker system so I don't have the separate tweeter, HOWEVER there was a Cutlass at the junkyard with what you describe. The way GM wires in the tweeters is done exactly how it has been with '88-94, except the location of the tweeter is in the door instead of dash. I was surprised to find the speaker wiring plugs are identical too. The pioneer speakers I have are I believe Oversize 6.5's meaning the basket is more like 6 or 6.25, they were kind of close to fitting but I really don't want to ruin it. This is a car I really don't want to implicate my afro-engineering on. Especially cause if one of these blue interior pieces breaks, I'm up the corn cob without anal lube.

I don't care for how Pioneer speakers sound, and they inflate the specs badly. The cheap coax 6.5" Infinity speakers that came in my truck when I bought it actually sound surprisingly good. I'd recommend them. I think some Infinity 5.25" should sound pretty good.

I have a pair of speaker pods if you're interested in them for modifying to fit 6.5". I was going to adapt them to my 89, but they put the speakers too high in the door so I wouldn't be able to use my factory grilles with them. Looks like you could just cut the basket out of them and use some fiberglass to enlarge the mounting area to fit 6.5".

eclipse all the way around. last week i actually just put in a pair of 5.25" eclipse 8353SE 3-way speakers in the doors and they are the cleanest sounding speaker i have personally ever heard. i have a phoenix gold amp running them and they are definitely worth every penny. i bought mine on sale for around $90 since they are '03 models. definitely way better than alpine, pioneer, or kicker as far as high frequency speakers go.

polk audio or kicker or whatever fits your budget ... thing is that any speaker is gonna sound better then stock ... well at least last longer if you get one based on spec of what your head unit puts out ... or unless you go all out with amps and stuff ... call me silly

actually I listened to a set of Kenwood 5.25's at best buy (not going to buy from them, but anyway) sounded very good, about 10 times better than the base model blue pioneers. I may get a pair of these kenwood's for the front, and matching 6x9's in the back.

i have pioneer in the back, needless to say i am not impressed with them i love my home audio poneer equipment but the car audio... i am getting eclipse 4*6s for the front and not sure of what to get for the back as of yet then i have the door speakers to worry about.

i have the 5.25 and seprate tweeter setup........all i can say is wow. stock speakers. these things for some reason sound *so* clear, clean and most of all loud. people constantly ask my if i have my speakers amp'd. i tell them no not only are they not amped but they are stock. the rears are a different story...they were alright, but room was definately there for improvement. i put 3way alpine 6x9's in there and they sound as good as my stock front speakers now. i have 2 12" rockford punch DVCs in a sealed box with 500 watts rms running to each of them. sound crystal clear and very loud. i really could not ask for anything more from my car, i dont know of anyones that really overall sounds better. shawn i agree with pioneer speakers sucking. i baught a set of 6.5s for my saturn and they suck dog ass, i think they sound even worse than stock. i wanted to take them back so bad but i didnt feel like getting hassled at the store for it so i lived with my shitty purchase

Polks sound damn good for the money. I prefer soundstream though. Exact 5 would be nice and you can get a component setup or coaxial. Its what I put in the dash of my GP:)