New tires and exhaust

slick

wait, you had a stock resonator?

my car doesn't?

Yep, I sure did. I have yet to see a w-body that doesn't have one. It should be in the section of piping that kicks out furthest to the passenger side of your car (right before the rear p/s wheel). Perhaps someone has already removed yours. Are you sure it isn't there? It doesn't have a much larger diameter than the stock exhaust pipe and has the shape (and size) of a cherry bomb. I guarantee you that if you don't have one and you put one in there, you will cut down on the trademark 60* V6 raspiness.

i never noticed, i'll take a look the next time i'm under the hood. i crushed my right middle finger in a metal fire door at work and fractured the bone last afternoonso i can't do much for a while until the stiches come out i'm right handed so i can't use that hand for much

my gm service manual makes no mention of a resonator in the exhaust section

its not under the hood its behind the right rear wheel

he said power steering wheel so i thought you could see it from under the hood

He said p/s wheel, referring to the passenger side rear wheel. Only later 3.1's may have gotten resonators, the 3.4 DOHC cars had them pre-93(or at least some 93's do)...3800 powered Regals had them earlier then 1994 as well I think(my parents 94 has one).

You KNOW what I think exhaust wise (at least one person in this thread has echoed me too :D ), but for a decent performance tire, I'd stay away from the Scorcher T/A.

What sized tires are you running on those chrome wheels, and what are you prepared to spend per tire (AFTER shipping etc)?

Also, do you have any treadwear requirments or anything, and are you going to use them in the snow...............tell me this, and I can find you a good tire....... :wink:

Hell...........IM me if you want.

i have no resonator and my buddy's 94' 3.1 car doesnt either.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing then. But I have seen W's from pre-94 and 94+ and they have all had them.

He said p/s wheel, referring to the passenger side rear wheel. Only later 3.1's may have gotten resonators, the 3.4 DOHC cars had them pre-93(or at least some 93's do)...3800 powered Regals had them earlier then 1994 as well I think(my parents 94 has one).

i think you're right about only later 3.1s having resonators, as i haven't seen one and i've been over every inch of my exhaust

i use pass. to stand for passenger side and p/s to stand for power steering so i missed what he said in his first post

he has stock wheels with new tires so i'm sure these will be summer only. i also suggest a wider tire then what he runs on those 17's right now

So.........he has 17's...........

Well, to keep the speedometer accurate, a set of 245/50R17's would be in order, but I think some 245/45R17's would work out better as there are more performance oriented choices in that size (because the Scorchers are the only reasonably priced 245/50R17 that is summer only). Picking this size will only throw off your speedometer by ~3%.

In 245/45R17, I'd look at these if you are on a budget and want a truly sticky tire (Kumho Ecsta MX......$131 per at Tirerack):

ku_ecsta_mx_ci2_l.jpg

If you want a little more treadwear and less price (and are willing to trade a little performance, try these (Kumho Ecsta Supra 712......$93 per):

ku_712.jpg

Or these (Yokohama AVS ES100.......$116 per):

yo_avs_es_100_ci2_l.jpg

There are other good choices out there, but Kumho tries to be the value leader where higher performance tires are concerned, and Yokohama's ES100 is the 712's main competitor...............

Personally Chris, I'd go with those BF Goodrich tires...they look pretty tight. They are a bit more than my BF Goodrich's were but that's prolly cause they are 17's.

Personally Chris, I'd go with those BF Goodrich tires...they look pretty tight. They are a bit more than my BF Goodrich's were but that's prolly cause they are 17's.

Bleh...........they are tires...........it's not the looks that count, it's the performance.............something that the Scorchers are NOT very good at.

I will be running 245/45/17's. As for performance, I do care somewhat, but not enough to want to spend more than $115 a tire(money reasons). They will be summer only tires, and we do get quite a bit of rain, so they need to be able to handle alright in the rain. Treadwear is somewhat of a concern too, because i only got about 9000 miles out of this current tires, and I can't afford new tires every summer :shock: .

Bigbuls, who echoed you on the exhuast? Give me what you think i should do.

I'm really liking 93GTP's exhaust set-up right about now.

Also, when I head down to the track, should I run on my 16's with new tires, or the 17's with a slightly smaller tire? The 17's, with tires weigh in at a hefty 46 lbs. a piece. I'm almost positive the stock 16's with tires are lighter, but can anyone confirm?

I will be running 245/45/17's. As for performance, I do care somewhat, but not enough to want to spend more than $115 a tire(money reasons). They will be summer only tires, and we do get quite a bit of rain, so they need to be able to handle alright in the rain. Treadwear is somewhat of a concern too, because i only got about 9000 miles out of this current tires, and I can't afford new tires every summer :shock: .

Bigbuls, who echoed you on the exhuast? Give me what you think i should do.

I'm really liking 93GTP's exhaust set-up right about now.

Also, when I head down to the track, should I run on my 16's with new tires, or the 17's with a slightly smaller tire? The 17's, with tires weigh in at a hefty 46 lbs. a piece. I'm almost positive the stock 16's with tires are lighter, but can anyone confirm?

93GTP was indeed who I said echoed my thought's on exhaust...........Magnaflow Carsound cat, Magnaflow resonator, and Magnaflow Mufflers. And obviously mandrel bent..............I'd also stick to 2.5in piping since you have an auto (Y'ed to dual 2.25)...............3in might loose you a little too much velocity at low rpm (still an issue since you have an auto....even an auto with 3.73's :D). Should give a deep, yet melow tone with a pretty cleaned up exhaust note as far as crakle is concerned...............and good flow :wink:

As for tires, the Kumho 712's are likely your best bet then................they are the cheapest of the lot, and offer reasonable 280 Treadwear with adequete rain performance............all for the lowest price. Scorchers suck in the rain about as bad as my Falken Azenis' do.

And at the track, why not take along both sets and a jack.............try them both out. The 245/45/17's will give a mild gearing advantage, but the 225/60R16's might just be lighter (and probably have less weight at the edge).............in all likelyhood it won't matter.........just see which gives you the best traction and the highest trap speed.

it's not the looks that count, it's the performance

So why would you want Kumhos or Yokohamas when you can get the same "performance" if not better, and with a better name like BF Goodrich?

brad...... BFG's arent what they used to be..... the new designs suck on wet pavement. the Radial T/A's and the touring tires are god all weather conditions.... but the Low Profile new versions just arent up to par./

it's not the looks that count, it's the performance

So why would you want Kumhos or Yokohamas when you can get the same "performance" if not better, and with a better name like BF Goodrich?

Because all three of those tires I posted about WILL outperform the BFG Scorchers. Wet OR dry.

And names don't mean anything where performance is concerned................most Goodyears for instance, are pretty crappy performance tires (yet they have a BUNCH of the OEM market cornered).

Go read some of the direct comparisons and owners reviews on Tirerack.

i ordered a set of apexi mufflers N1 style 2.5" inlet and 3.5" outlet with removable silencers just got them welded on and took the silencers out and it sounds like a fuckin monster, i pull up on camaros with flowmaster and my car idling is louder i love it and its not a wham wham sound like a fuckin weedeater civac piece of shit it sounds like a monst V8 i love it only spent 180 for everthing including the mufflers and to get them put on will get pics put on the website soon