Engine mounts gone already?!?!

Jon89le

How long are motor mounts supposed to last? I have had mine in there for about 35 thousand miles and if i punch the gas from a slow roll (5-10mph) i hear the motor hit something. When i shift from park to reverse i also feel the motor rock an unusual amount. The DogBones are the ones from RSM so they are in fine shape. I heard that polyU dogbones would make the mounts go faster but this fast?!?! Any idea where i can get some 'better' ones. The ones i purchased were from RockAuto.com. Thansk for any input.

Welcome to the club, and there's more proof for the non-believers. I went thru the same thing as you- except my mount lasted maybe 5,000 miles, and this was on a stock 3.1. Anchor is a no-no brand. If you're comfortable with online buying, go to napa.com and order the SOLID lower engine mount from Balkamp (seen a lot of Mustang guys use this brand as well- no issues). It runs around $45 shipped, or you can get it from a Napa store with a slight increase in price ( I paid $64 with tax) these mounts are especially good for worked 3.1's with low end torque- these mounts are strong enough.

See if this works:

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=28506251&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid=79954983

They have a warehouse in CT so it should get to you pretty quickly.

With that front mount being solid, won't it cause more vibration but will it do ne thing for performance? And can both motor mounts be replaced w.o dropping the cradle?

-Tony

I have the solid mount and there's no additional vibration (it's rubber, not polyurethane of some crap) the engine does move less and is a bit harder to tilt the engine forward. Interpret that however you may, it holds up better than the hydraulic mount.

Id rather have it tilt harder than wear out faster. Ill just loose a little more skin doing the rear plugs :lol:. Im sure the extra lowend torque i have from my mods didnt help. Anyways, thanks for the link Brian. Ill try Napa's online store and order it from them.

you can still tilt it, just will either need a good prybar or park the car on a slight downward incline and it gets easy. Then there's always the tool you can buy that allows you to tilt a few more inches than just using the slave hole on the torque struts.