new guy on the block

96_9C3Lumina

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I would like to know a couple things. I'm looking to add more items to my car and make it look better. My 1996 Lumina doesn't have a tachometer in the instrument cluster but I want one in it. Will the instrument cluster that has a tachometer (for the same year/make/model) work with mine being that it doesn't? I know that I can hook up an AutoMeter gauge but I think it looks tacky. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Also, will the bucket seats (preferrably manual not electric) from the Monte Carlo fit on the same tracks as the lumina? I really want bucket seats for it, but don't know if they will fit. If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated...

Welcome! And yes, Its all plug n play.. There was a Monte Carlo in a yeard near me w/ the package you were lookin for.. I wonder if it was still there..

welcome to the board. by your log in name I see you have a 9C3 police package lumina!! those are real nice. didnt they come with recaro buckets in the first place??

welcome to the board. by your log in name I see you have a 9C3 police package lumina!! those are real nice. didnt they come with recaro buckets in the first place??

Nope, this car was an Administrative vehicle, so it came with the standard split bench seat. It did come with all the wiring goodies and whatnot.

this thread is useless without pics

Yeah, I like pics...

Welkom to the board!

If the 1.5 gen cluster is the same as the first gen cluster you are going to have to do some extra wiring to make that guage work.

Alright, another 96 Loomie owner! Welcome. To answer your question, the Monte is basically a 2-Door Loomie, so the seats will bolt up no problem. Only thing will be the Monte seats will fold forward (don't know if you'd like that having a 4-Door and all.) As far as the factory tach, you might have to run a wire from the ICM (ignition module) to the cluster harness to get the tach to work properly. I had to do this on my old Grand Am when I swapped in a cluster w/tach, and I think it would be no different on a Lumina.

Another thing: If you're serious about changing the appearance, you can do some subtle changes to make that Loomie look killer. To wit, get some front and rear bumper covers, taillights, and 5-spoke rims from a Monte Z34, and side trim and spoiler from a Lumina LTZ to achieve the LTZ look. Tint the windows and get some ST lowering springs from JC Whitney, and there you go! Just my 2 cents, as that's what's in the works for my wife's 96 Loomie (oh, yeah and a 3400 swap, and a black paint job, and...) blah blah blah :P

Another thing: If you're serious about changing the appearance, you can do some subtle changes to make that Loomie look killer. To wit, get some front and rear bumper covers, taillights, and 5-spoke rims from a Monte Z34, and side trim and spoiler from a Lumina LTZ to achieve the LTZ look. Tint the windows and get some ST lowering springs from JC Whitney, and there you go! Just my 2 cents, as that's what's in the works for my wife's 96 Loomie (oh, yeah and a 3400 swap, and a black paint job, and...) blah blah blah :P

I am going to have the bumper covers, rocker panel covers, 5 spoke wheels, and maybe a spoiler. But I dont think I'll paint it black, too many cars around here are black, red or blue, I was thinking about a color just to stand out, maybe taxi cab yellow, millenium yellow.

But about the tail-lights, they have custom ones out? Or can I use others from various makes and models?

But I dont think I'll paint it black, too many cars around here are black, red or blue, I was thinking about a color just to stand out, maybe taxi cab yellow, millenium yellow.

But about the tail-lights, they have custom ones out? Or can I use others from various makes and models?

I meant I'm painting my car black :lol: . I don't think they make any aftermarket "Altezza's" for the Monte or Lumina. I can't imagine any other models' taillights easily bolting up to a Loomie. I suppose you could make your own clear taillights if you wanted to, I've seen other people do them to Grand Ams and Grand Prixes before...

Welecome abord, another lumina owner is always welecome.

ugh i see gen 1.5 lumis being used as taxis around here, i woulden't go with the yellow unless you are after the taxi cab look, just my .02 cents.

Welecome abord, another lumina owner is always welecome.

ugh i see gen 1.5 lumis being used as taxis around here, i woulden't go with the yellow unless you are after the taxi cab look, just my .02 cents.

What color would you guys recommend? Right now its like a powder blue metallic with blue fabric interior and to me the exterior color is to girlie for my liking.

i like the sugestion on viper blue thats a sweet color, mabie white? then you can get more of the "cop car" look out of it, personally i like it but i know lots of people don't like how police cars look. mabie a nice dark blue? or it would look tight black with LTZ dressings.