wanting to know what subs to go with

cryptnix

I currently have two Alpine Type S series subs. I believe I've overheated the voice coils cause they don't sound all that bassy because I have a 350.2 Kicker amp and well according too all the things I've read since it pushes 375 that I've heard it pushes two times that ... so this amp is pushing almost 1200 watts ...

so now that I know that the amp is sufficient enough for a decent set of subs ... I want to keep it twelves, won't go with single voice coil, will only go with dual voice coils, and i'm looking for bass thats not distorted and bass thats very rich in sound. (meaning car shaking... the next car beside us shaking) any suggestions as to what ones I should go with?

excuse my lack of experience here but these are my first subs and they've made me quite happy ... but i'm ready to move on!

I currently have two Alpine Type S series subs. I believe I've overheated the voice coils cause they don't sound all that bassy because I have a 350.2 Kicker amp and well according too all the things I've read since it pushes 375 that I've heard it pushes two times that ... so this amp is pushing almost 1200 watts ...

so now that I know that the amp is sufficient enough for a decent set of subs ... I want to keep it twelves, won't go with single voice coil, will only go with dual voice coils, and i'm looking for bass thats not distorted and bass thats very rich in sound. (meaning car shaking... the next car beside us shaking) any suggestions as to what ones I should go with?

excuse my lack of experience here but these are my first subs and they've made me quite happy ... but i'm ready to move on!

1200watts :shock: ....where'd you get that number?

yes Kicker amps put out more power then they're rating...but not that much

average output for a kicker amp is 150% the rated wattage

the 350.2 is 350watts rms....actual output is approx 525 watts

now max wattage on the other hand would be approx 1050watts....but you NEVER chose an amp or subs based on the max wattage

with that amp your looking at 262x2 continuious output

power handling on those type S subs is 200watts RMS...so yes they were getting more power then suggested...that could have caused it...but most likely it was to much distortion (power doesn't blow subs, distortion does)...just out of curiosity are you using a low-pass filter

I'd honestly suggest JL Audio subs...i swear by them...heh...won me a couple competitions and set a state record in my class...5 12W0s god i miss them

the 12W3v2 would be perfect for that amp :wink: http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/12w3v2.html

oh by the way...i used a Kicker amp in my competition system too...good choice 8)

no, help me out here ... my friends gonna sell me his 12W3's for cheap...

not sure what version they are ... but i am very anxious to get them... all the people i've spoken to have said that they are good subs and bad subs ... so what the hell?

i've also heard that if they get to much bloody power that the wire pops out ... anyway i want to know more about this low pass filter your talking about ...

because i know the amp has one and my head unit has its own subwoofer preout...

If you had the gains on the amp turned all the way up then you are just distorting the subs. I my self have 2 12" type R running 1200watts (2x the RMS) in a custom ported box and they are loud as hell for me and very clear but everyone and their uncle have them the way it seems some times.

JL are good I'm told along with diamond. My brother have a 12" diamond M6 and it is almost as loud as me and he is running 800 watts.

3 words: Boston Pro Series. You will not likely beat the combination of really hard hitting bass and awesome sound quality.

that is true. I know some one with Boston subs and them things are so clear and hit hard too.

i used to have one 12" type S. like stated above their handeling is 200rms 600 peak. the amp i has running it was a rockford 300s. 300 watts rms 600 peak. 100 watts over is nothing...if anything probably better. overpowering subs a little bit is not harmful at all. underpowering is your enemy. that alpine is a very clear sub. i hope those are in a sealed box. thats the only way to go for clarity imo. ported is alright for smaller setups, like 1 ten or something like that.....bandpass is just bleh

underpowering subs doesn't do crap

if that was the case you'd blow your subs every time you turn the volume down

the idea is more wattage = louder volumes with out distortion

therefore if a sub is getting less power it can't get as loud with out distoring...that distortion is very hard on the coil...causing the sub to blow

the problem is people try to push subs too hard off low wattage...or don't correctly filter the input...the key is any subs can run off any power amp (no more then 100watts overpowered) and not blow if set up correctly

also the low pass filter is just a filter that only allows lower frequencies to the subwoofer so it only plays bass....this can prolong the life of the sub quite a bit...your amp already has one on it...there should be a switch to turn it on and a knob to adjust the frequency cutoff

heh...W3's are a good choice...most likely they're the older model...for the wire problem just go to a hardware store and get some of those female connecters that will hook up to the terminals

I know they're abit old but when I heard these in my buddies truck I wanted 'em and he said he'd sell them to me for $150 ... so I snatched that crap up ...

Anyway, I'll be sure this time to turn the low pass filter on this time.

But I had a BOSS REV-450 AMP last time that powered my two alpines and I bet thats what underpowered them and ... well i don't want to know how shitty Boss is... but anyways....

Just thought I'd inform you ... I'll take pictures of the install when I get the time too and I figure out why the camera isn't reading the card... (probably dirty) doesn't write or read from it ....

the problem is people try to push subs too hard off low wattage...or don't correctly filter the input...the key is any subs can run off any power amp (no more then 100watts overpowered) and not blow if set up correctly

i don't 100% agree here. i'm running my 2 alpine type r 12" at 1200 watts. that is 2x the RMS in a ported box and i never had one problem and i know someone that ran his for 2 years now at 2x the RMS and had no problem. It some what depend on how well the sub is made.

the part were people try and get the most out of their amps because it is not the right size for the sub then that i know for a fact because i did that one time when i had 1 10" RF HE

A sub can be underpowered with a crappy amp when the amp cannot hold the resistance the subs need to push the subs, therefor creating distortion and ruining the subs.

I will admit my REV-455 is what killed the speakers, they sounded great, they sounded good for a few but these subs were damaged way long before I threw these on my new Kicker 350.2 amp, so the added power on the weak voice coils is what killed them.

But, I give credit to Alpine, I just want to move on to something different and see what I can get.

Anyways, if my theory is wrong go ahead bitch me out!

i don't 100% agree here. i'm running my 2 alpine type r 12" at 1200 watts. that is 2x the RMS in a ported box and i never had one problem and i know someone that ran his for 2 years now at 2x the RMS and had no problem. It some what depend on how well the sub is made.

the part were people try and get the most out of their amps because it is not the right size for the sub then that i know for a fact because i did that one time when i had 1 10" RF HE

the 100 watts over was a guess

from what i've learned you can technically run any sub off any amp as long as you do it correctly so yeah you're right

A sub can be underpowered with a crappy amp when the amp cannot hold the resistance the subs need to push the subs, therefor creating distortion and ruining the subs.

I will admit my REV-455 is what killed the speakers, they sounded great, they sounded good for a few but these subs were damaged way long before I threw these on my new Kicker 350.2 amp, so the added power on the weak voice coils is what killed them.

But, I give credit to Alpine, I just want to move on to something different and see what I can get.

Anyways, if my theory is wrong go ahead bitch me out!

sounds like a good theory to me :wink:

the 100 watts over was a guess

from what i've learned you can technically run any sub off any amp as long as you do it correctly so yeah you're right

yeah you are most likely right about running any sub off any amp but ones you would toy with the amp bye bye subs :lol:

i swear by alpien with my haert, right now i have an alpine type-r 15" in the back, i know a freind with duel 15's type-r's

you have duel type-s

type-s suck...

go with type-r's or the new awsome type-x subs...(1000 watts RMS each, 2000 PEAK!!!!)

anyway, alpine, play hard or go home....

i swear by alpien with my haert, right now i have an alpine type-r 15" in the back, i know a freind with duel 15's type-r's

you have duel type-s

type-s suck...

go with type-r's or the new awsome type-x subs...(1000 watts RMS each, 2000 PEAK!!!!)

anyway, alpine, play hard or go home....

that type x is a lot of money but i think it will hit really hard.

i got the jlw3-d4's installed last night ... i must say i am extreamly happy. no sound of distortion just sitting there listening to them ... aww, lovely :-D

makes my car rattle hella more then the alpines did ... and my low pass filter is enabled now too and wow i can tell the difference...

anyways got a long day ahead of me hope to hear ya guys chant up whilist i work today :-D I have such a wide list of shit todo to my cutlass just no time nor money ... stupid bills (gotta catch them up)

:-D

jl.jpg

and there they are ...

oh and ... they pound harder then the alpines did ...

some place was actually trying to get me to buy Alpine Type X's .... I'm ok ... honest ... these hit much more harder then i thought they would ... and am quite pleased with them ...