light up door handle keyhole

White93z34

hows it work? i just picked up a handle with the light up ring in it, i see no switch to make the keyhole light up when the handle is pulled. does it just stay on for hte 30 sec with the interior lights or what?

It's just an LED.

oh great another led i need to replace :roll:

my HVAC controls don't light up all the way...i need to make a trip to radioshack

It's just an LED.

my HVAC controls don't light up all the way...i need to make a trip to radioshack

I have some HVAC controls I can send you. All they need are good buttons. All the lights work.

It's just an LED.

I have some HVAC controls I can send you. All they need are good buttons. All the lights work.

how much?

$8/shipped. I'll include the missing buttons, too. You can also send your old one to Dave, and for $10 he'll completely recondition it. You'll have a backup one then.

damn...i'll take that...the buttons are fine on my old one...only thing wrong was some of the lights were f'd up when my stereo was stolen a long while ago

does it just stay on for hte 30 sec with the interior lights or what?

No, the interior vanity lights are different than the door handle light. The inside lights come on when the door closes, and the door handle light comes on when the handle is pulled. In my Z34, the door handle light only stays on for a couple seconds were as the interior lights are on, like yours, for 30 seconds or so.

HVAC uses bulbs, not LEDs.

The key ring light uses the same switch and timer as the passive restraint solenoid (that click you hear when you pull the door handle when the door is locked).

i'm wondering how to wire one up that i have it has 2 wires orange and white on it, obviously my door does not have such a wire in it, in the GP i pulled it out of it it looked like the wire ran into the interior and i know orange/white is part of the dome light circut, however i DO have an extra harnas inside my door, green / black wires, could that be it?

EDIT: and yes, i checked my car for gnomes, but it appears it it had the "Gnome Delete" option :lol: :lol:

The key ring light uses the same switch and timer as the passive restraint solenoid (that click you hear when you pull the door handle when the door is locked).

i tore it apart...and i didn't see one bulb in my HVAC controls

i tore it apart...and i didn't see one bulb in my HVAC controls

Look harder, they're there.

I know, because the buttons in my TGP's HVAC controls have holes punched in 'em letting white light through. White LEDs weren't invented until the late 1990's and even then cost up to $6+ each, plus they are more of a bluish white, so I know the light coming out of my cracked-up HVAC controls isn't from LEDs. It HAS to be bulbs.

The HVAC has tiny clear bulbs in there which light up the lettering on the controls. I know because I had them replaced (had to be soldered in). But, there are also amber colored ones in there that light up the upper right hand corner of the button for a given mode being turned on (i.e. heater, defroster). The amber ones looked like LEDs to me, plus all of them were working fine even though the clear bulbs were burned out. This would also suggest they are LEDs.

Yeah, the amber on/off indicators ARE LEDs, but the backlighting is all bulbs. If they're clear, round on the bottom, and made of glass, they're bulbs.

LEDs don't burn out unless they get zapped by high voltage. They're fully solid-state semiconductors. Their primary failure mode is bad solder joints.

Certainly. You just have to find a supply. Last time I bought some, I got them from Partsexpress.com. I'm not sure if they still sell them, but they probably do. Some people say Radio Shack carries the tiny bulbs, but I've never seen them there.