Fuel pump done, new questions

gp90se

I spent 5+ hours doin my fuel pump, what a bitch and 1/2, it ever blows again im going 2 a fuel cell. Went as smooth as i figured it would, had 2 rewire some of the origial fuel pump wires, but no biggy. now the car will run, but only if i keep my foot on the gas. the EVAP isnt hooked up, but i did block off the line, so it should run (didnt run it on my N/A motor). any ideas?

-Jeff

Does it smell really rich? Could be flooding and only staying running w/ the foot on the gas. Check the line that goes to the FPR, if it smells like gas there's your problem. And:

so it should run (didnt run it on my N/A motor).
^^^^^ What does that mean? TELL me it's not the pump from your N/A motor.

Guest TurboSedan

did you disconnect the battery while changing the fuel pump? maybe it has to do an idle relearn?

i spent the whole afternoon dropping the gas tank and replacing the fuel level sender on my Cutlass today. what a fun job huh?

btw, did you re-use the fuel pump dampener?

btw, did you re-use the fuel pump dampener?

nope, replaced everything. I disconnected the battery (has a hell of a strain, thats next). I was thinkin idle relearn but it wont hold idle at all.

-Jeff

lol connect the fillter neck when ya done :x

unplug the pump, disconnect the lines, grab a beer, undo the front of the 2 straps (2 15mm bolts) but keep a floor jack under it. disconenct the filler neck and vent hose, grab another beer, remove the tank, swap the pump, another 2 beers, get a buddy, slide the tank into place (BUT PUT THE FILER NECK BACK ON), strap up the tank, grab another cold 1, plug in the lines and the wiring harness, finish off the beer, start the car, 1 last beer, take a nap (dont drink and drive) and then go take it out for a spin

good luck, you'll need it.

-Jeff

Guest TurboSedan
lol connect the fillter neck when ya done :x

-Jeff

:lol: i just did mine yesterday and i went thru the trouble of removing all 4 strap bolts :? after reading your post i realized that you can prolly remove the tank without even loosening the 2 rear strap bolts (they are a PITA to get to...)

just want to add - there is a lock ring that you have to turn in order to remove the level sender/pickup/fuel pump assembly from the tank...make sure you clean off the area really good before you loosen it so rocks & dust don't fall into the tank. carefully remove it to be sure that you don't damage or break the float level arm (been there done that) oh yeah...use a piece of plywood between the floor jack and the tank! good luck!

I just gott ask. What did you do with the wiring. There are two hook ups

to this pump and you should have been asked when you bought it which wiring you had. I would start there.

If you modified the wiring I think you fucked up.

Jud

I was thinking about fixing the fuel sending unit on my TGP but was hoping someone would buy it before I did that.

Dropping fuel tanks suck!! What was the prices of the sending unit and fuel pump? I hate to spend $$$ on something I have up for sale...