Custom switch location idea!!!

90TGP

Ok, I currently have two switches placed inbetween the DIC and shifter. It's ok, but I want to move them. So, I came up with an idea with my TGP interior.

Sometime this summer with the help of Stewie :) I'm going to have my interior completely switched over to darkgrey/black/charcoal because I really don't care for the tan interior. I'm planning on getting a pair of race seats for weight reduction and because my two front seats are pretty much broken when it comes to the factory power options and my drivers seat would need to be reupholstered anyway, which would cost a pretty penny.

Now with race seats, all of those purdy buttons on the center console lid are pretty much useless. So here is my idea.

If I take that panel with the switches out and put a sheet of plastic or whatever in it's place, I can mount rocker switches there no problem. I can also rip out the old power seating wires and run all the wires through the stock location through the center console.

With rocker switches in the center arm rest, it would look factory, yet custom at the same time. It would also be within easy reach, and I can always add more switches no problem.

Any comments? Anyone ever do this before?

That sounds cool. I need to make a proper place for my stereo rocker switch. My cig lighter kept blowing fuses so I disconnected it, and since I never use it I'd like to make the ashtrey into something else.. maybe buttons or a CUPHOLDER.

Guest Anonymous

Just be careful with dash/console mods... Ive gotten myself into a jam with putting an 89 DIC into my 95's console, where it does NOT go but I made it go there anyway :shock:

Now i have to do fiberglass or a custom vinyl cover... But if the opening is the same size for your switches then all should be good. Have any ideas on improving gaps/cuts in a dash?

Just be careful with dash/console mods... Ive gotten myself into a jam with putting an 89 DIC into my 95's console, where it does NOT go but I made it go there anyway :shock:

Now i have to do fiberglass or a custom vinyl cover... But if the opening is the same size for your switches then all should be good. Have any ideas on improving gaps/cuts in a dash?

I would reccomend you get the upper part of the gp console that has the DIC ( I have a spare if you need) and use it as the basis for your new housing.

I would rip out the upper part of your console and try to fibreglass the two of them together, that's your best bet at getting a clean install.

If you plan on taking out the power seats and need space for switches then that's probably the best thing to do with it, although I would just take it out cause I find I hit them a lot with shifting all the time, it's annoying.