Help an idiot understand bolt pattern..

cs-x

Can anyone tell me, because I'm obviously clueless, what the bolt pattern is for an 89 cutlass supreme? All I've figured out so far is 5x115. Is this all the info I need to shop for rims? Anyone with a 88-91 that has the proper info, please help!

You are correct, the factory w-body bolt-pattern is 5x115mm. I'm not sure what the off-set is for the Cutlass wheels, but I think it's 30mm, don't take my word for it.

Now, when you are looking for wheels, 5x115 is the IDEAL bolt-pattern for your car, it's a direct fit. But, 5x114.3mm will also fit. It's not a direct fit, but it'll fit.

You'll want to get the closest off-set you possibly can so that the wheels clear the brake caliper.

Can anyone tell me, because I'm obviously clueless, what the bolt pattern is for an 89 cutlass supreme? All I've figured out so far is 5x115. Is this all the info I need to shop for rims? Anyone with a 88-91 that has the proper info, please help!

Go to the "Wheel Tech" section here: http://www.tirerack.com/about/techcenter.html

The bolt pattern is only one of the variables you need to consider. Some of the others would be center bore, offset, and width. Also with our cars, the brake rotors are rather "shallow". What I mean is that the wheel's mounting surface does not protrude much from braking surface. Since the wheel is going to sit close to the brakes, you may run into clearance problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this will help but, when I ordered my rims They guys suggested 5x114.3 and 5x120 on a ten bolt universal. The biggest thing I was told is to watch closely the mount system. If it is tapered (tuner style) no problems (they even do that at the shop for their customers rather than ordering the actual 115mm). However if your new rims have a sleeved or collared lug you may find the last bolt is just impossible to mount.

(P.S. If you really want Konig rims check E-bay Motors. Always sets on there for cheap. even the ones you chose :D )

Yes, the 10 bolt universal will fit, BUT you will need spacers with them since they are 45mm offset. I'm not even sure if the 45mm will fit with spacers. I would goto an actuall wheel shop first.

Thanks everybody!

I do plan to go to a local shop if they can match the price. Otherwise I'll just get them online and pay for mounting.

I have seen these on eBay, but not white.. I want white. Wait until you guys see my custom paint job done by me. When I get the rims, I'll post pics.

Thanks again :D

When you do get your wheels mounted, MAKE SURE THEY TORQUE THEM DOWN WITH A TORQUE WRENCH AND NOT AN IMPACT GUN!!!!!

Or you just have the tires mounted on the wheels and mount them yourself at home.

When you do get your wheels mounted, MAKE SURE THEY TORQUE THEM DOWN WITH A TORQUE WRENCH AND NOT AN IMPACT GUN!!!!!

Or you just have the tires mounted on the wheels and mount them yourself at home.

Yeah, like our rotors didn't have enough problems as it is. Dumbasses have to go and put 400 lb/ft of torque on our wheels to warp them proppa like.

Yeah. :cuss: Every time I go to a tire shop to get something done (tire wise) the monkey puke torque the darn thing on at like 300 ft-lb or something. I had to use a breaker bar to get my lugs off, and one time some numb nut cross-threaded one of my lugs/wheed studs. I was pissed. I'm getting 3 more donuts to put on my car so I can bring just the wheels only. :lol:

Most garages are ignorant on that subject. Here in PA, part of the yearly inspection is checking the brakes. The last time I had it done, the "mechanic" acted like I inconvenienced him by making him put the wheels back on with a hand wrench & torque wrench. At the Sears garage where I used to work, it was required that we use a torque wrench to snug up the lug nuts.