series of questions

cryptnix

Can I run premium in my Cutlass all the time? My uncle says that I can't. Why? Or is he wrong?

Because when I use regular ... I get shit for gas mileage (probably because of the platinum plugs).

I'm going to mod up my console where my stereo goes so I can give it a recessed look, because I want it to be different and appear to be all one piece. Also what would I use to paint it? I want to keep the same basic black scheme going, but I don't really want mixed colors goin ...

i use 89. When we bought our old lumina new, they told her premium, and the higher brand gas. No real difference at all. I did notice like a very few extra miles per tank, but not worth it.

jon

You may want to replace your PCV valve. If it is stuck open, it would let too much air/oil moisture into the intake (it lowers the fuel octane). If it is stuck closed, it would create reverse pressure and the air/oil moisture to come out of the breather hose (front valve cover) and into the intake hose (it lowers the fuel octane). You might to check the web for "PCV Catch Can".

I'm still searching the best "PCV Catch Can" where I can switch from normal PCV operation during year emission inspection and then switch back to using "PCV Catch Can".

However, I think it would be alright to use a "typical air compressor air/oil filter" and put that between the PCV hose and another one for the breather hose. You have not really disconnected the hose and still allowing air/oil vapor but trapping the oil itself.

Using the "PCV Catch Can" should give you a clean intake without getting the Intake hose, IAC, throttle plate gunked up and could cause idle problem and some engine hesitation. You fuel octane level should not lower because you are not introducing oil in your air/fuel mixture.

So that makes sense then to as why I'm running rich or is it lean when it smells? I'm confused can you also explain that to me too? ;-( (i'm a dumby, more like a total newb!)

If your exhaust smells like gasoline then your running rich, which would explain bad fuel economy since your dumping unburned gas out the tailpipe.

Running premium gas won't cause any problems with your car, but if your running rich it won't fix the problem either. You probably just need to do some basic maintenance. As suggested changing the PCV valve is a good start, its only like $3-4. Next you may want to buy an aerosole can of injector cleaner and clean out your intake (I think w-body.com has instruction, or just ask anyone here). And as always you can change the O2 sensor, do new plugs and wires, get a new air filter, and switch to 5W-30 oil to further help things out.

Holy crap I think I need to change my PCV valve, cause it does smell gassy and likes to fire oil out the breather more than it should. I should also change my O2 sensor.

I made something creative today as an alternative to a "catch can".. well not really. I just took some plastic hose, and ran it into the fender so the stinky vapour smell goes away. :lol:

I ran premium in my old cutlass for a while and didn't notice a difference. I stuck with the mid-grade because I saw no benefit. Was a 96 with the 3100.

with me i notice every difference from oil changes and alittle gas... and trust me i've gone through ever sensor on my 3100 ... and ... i still notice shit i don't like about the way it drives... these aluminum heads and shit always have there times of running different each time its started... perhaps its just my car and my motor and my stupidity but every change i do i can notice a relitive difference on how it runs....

another thing is i have change the pcv valve, plugs, wires, map sensor, maf sensor, i am about to change my car to dual exaust ... so I plan on redoing the CAT so I guess I should just get the o2 sensor changed as well ...

Needless do say, I have done quite a bit to this car ... it drives fine when its cold and shit out ... but once it gets humid and hot ... this car drives like SHIT... ICM?

Who knows?!