power trunk release & tranny position switch

GutlessSupreme

I ripped a power trunk release out of a lumina today at the yard and want to put it in my car. I was looking at the diagrams in my manual and it shows the power coming from the underhood fuse panel and through the tranny position switch (so that it'll only open in park).

now, I wouldn't give a shit and just bypass this and wire it to whatever 12v source I wanted to, but then I'd be afraid I'd manage to hit the button with my leg somehow while I'm driving and have the trunk pop open. not good.

where abouts is the tranny position switch, and how hard is it to get to to run a wire through it?

What about putting the button in the glove box out of the way? That's where the button is in my Regal. As far as the Park/Neutral switch, look on top of the tranny near where the shift cable connects. There's an arm attached to the shift cable, and under where the arm mounts, that's where the switch is. BTW, I've never replaced the switch myself, I was just looking at my Hayne's manual :D since it's right here...

What about putting the button in the glove box out of the way? That's where the button is in my Regal. As far as the Park/Neutral switch, look on top of the tranny near where the shift cable connects. There's an arm attached to the shift cable, and under where the arm mounts, that's where the switch is. BTW, I've never replaced the switch myself, I was just looking at my Hayne's manual :D since it's right here...

was actually thinking of doing exactly that, and probably will. that or inside of the console, though the glove box would be quicker to wire.

thanks again Disco.

GPs also have the button in the glove box.. I find it a bit of a PITA to reach it but thats just me. I wish it was not hidden so I could get at the trunk quicker..

if I feel around in the carpet on the dash directly underneath the steering wheel I can feel where it's supposed to go, hole in the plastic is already precut I guess.. Lumina's have it there too.

I was really considering the console storage bin idea but I always have a crapload of stuff in there that would probably hit the button too.. I'll take a look in the morning to see if I can find the tranny switch easily. If it's not easily reachable then fuck it, I'll find somewhere to mount it where it's less prone to get hit.

I found the tranny switch.. not easy to get my hands in there so frig it, I just wired it to my cig lighter. I still have to run the wire to the trunk though.

I just got done working on mine an hour ago. I have a 95 4-door cutty and took the hardware and button out of a gp. All I had to do was find the plug in the trunk and in the glove box. Simple plug in and pop, done in less than 30 mins.