DIC finally installed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, I finally did it... I installed the 89 DIC into a 95 Grand Prix!

The procedure was rather simple when I worked it out, and the wiring took about half an hour, give or take. I will be posting deatiled instructions later for those who would like to do the same. It's not as hard as one thinks. This Sunday I will be doing a custom finberglass dash mod to house the unit below my AC controls.

One small problem... the red backlighting does not work. The screen dims with the headlights, but the buttons dont go on... I assume that this is a burned out bulb, can it be replaced?

Special thanks to Gearhead43 and digitaloutsider for all your help, i appreciate it very much!

pics will be up soon.

Glad to see you got it done Ross...

One thing about the lights... It could either be the Circuit board that is bad.. or the brown panel light wire was not hooked up.. Get a test light and probe the brown wire (A3) at the connector to see if you have power going to that wire.

Then be sure you have the other 2 dimmer wires hooked up right.

The Gray /Black (A5) and the Gray (B3)

If cuorse the PIN numbers might be diffferent on the 95 GP

Guest Anonymous

Suprisingly, the PIN numbers are all the same, and thats how I got it hooked up and functional. Its also retaining memory (knock on wood). One guy I spoke to said his didn't when he did the install. The wire colors were slightly off, but every pin matched up. There were two extra wires on the 95 Harness. I spliced in, leaving the 95 Harness, so that I can hook one of those up as well.

Its currently telling me that I need to rotate the tires, which I beleive is actually true, and when my low fuel icon came on in the HUD, CK. FUEL scrolled across. I will have to get a tester and see what the deal is. All in all, im pretty pleased with it. Now I just have to mod the console/dash, a big project. Thanks again for all your help!

Not retaining memory would mean he didn't hook it up to a full-time hot wire... otherwise, unless it's damaged, it should hold the memory no matter what.

Not retaining memory would mean he didn't hook it up to a full-time hot wire... otherwise, unless it's damaged, it should hold the memory no matter what.

It was hooked up in the same fashion RossGT has his. Perhaps the unit I had was damaged. The car it came out of had been hit so hard, the engine was half way into the passenger compartment... this unit was underneath the mess.

Guest Anonymous

I still have to figure out why the red backlighting doesn't work on the buttons. Other than that, Its running great. Gearhead says to try some of teh wires since the A3 may be loose. Tomorrow I have the task of moding it into the dash.

Does anyone know why it keeps scrolling service messages across, and how I can reset the service? "Reset" doesnt seem to help...

I still have to figure out why the red backlighting doesn't work on the buttons. Other than that, Its running great. Gearhead says to try some of teh wires since the A3 may be loose. Tomorrow I have the task of moding it into the dash.

Does anyone know why it keeps scrolling service messages across, and how I can reset the service? "Reset" doesnt seem to help...

You have to hold the service button, and tell it what mileages you want it to tell you you need serviced. There are about 5 or 6 different things (oil, trans filter, etc) it will tell you about, and it keeps track of the mileage. You also need to calibrate the compass. I'll scan my manual for you.

Guest Anonymous

Well, I checked all the wires, and everything is fine... any other ideas on getting the backlighting to work, or do i just have to live with it?

Then be sure you have the other 2 dimmer wires hooked up right.

The Gray /Black (A5) and the Gray (B3)

How do you hook those two up? That's the only thing stopping me from hooking it up.

Guest Anonymous

Its quite simple, on a GP at least. Match up the A5 wire on the old DIC and the B3 wire to the harness on the newer DIC. The colour wires will be different, but the PIN is the same. Splice away, and you're good to go.

It took me about 30-45 minutes to wire everything up. I ran the harness down under my steering column and into the 95 console. Tomorrow I am cutting out the cubby and ash tray below the AC controls and will let you know how that goes. Its the best place, really the only spot, on the dash to install it. Just make sure your wires are long enough, becuase theres alot of snaking around obstabcles when running them. Any other questions, feel free to ask... I was suprised how simple the install was.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Im pleased with it. Just wish that the backlight would work on it though :? Can't wait for tomorrow, it will be in the dash and not hanging by the seat...

This is going into a '90 Lumina so there is no DIC harness. I just need to know where to hook up the second line?? I know one could come of the HL switch, could the second go there as well or would that cause problems?? Any ideas

Thanks

Badflash,

The easier way to get all the wiring in, is to find a complete DIC harness out of a 88-93 GP 2 door. You will not have to cut ANY wires. Instructions to do this are up at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/gearhead43/DavesGP/dicharness.html

Then you'll install the DIC connector into your Lumina's C200 Connector. Slot 9 on the far right. You might have to remove an existing harness if your Lumina already has it. If it does, It's probably the console lighting. Which the DIC harness has in addition to the other wires needed for DIC operation.

Hey Ross, Id like to see some pics.. Im getting the STE Console/harness on a trade for my 6000.. Id like to see the install in a newer GP! lol

Badflash,

The easier way to get all the wiring in, is to find a complete DIC harness out of a 88-93 GP 2 door. You will not have to cut ANY wires. Instructions to do this are up at:

http://pages.prodigy.net/gearhead43/DavesGP/dicharness.html

Then you'll install the DIC connector into your Lumina's C200 Connector. Slot 9 on the far right. You might have to remove an existing harness if your Lumina already has it. If it does, It's probably the console lighting. Which the DIC harness has in addition to the other wires needed for DIC operation.

All I have is like 3 ft of wire off the DIC, so I need to wire it in the hard way. All I need to know is how to wire the 2 dimmer lines, the rest I got figured out. But I guess if no one knows, I'll go look at that GP I pulled the console from it was a 2dr so it should have the harness I need.

Guest Anonymous

pics will be coming, im having a few difficulties with dash installation... should have it done later...

The old DIC went into a 95 3.4L, Brian P... the fuel features arent working (yet) but I am also putting a 95 DIC in as well for the other features...