Extending DIC wires

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I need to extend the wires from my 88-93 DIC harness to reach and t-splice into my 95 DIC harness. Where can I go for the wires, are they expensive, and does anyone know what gage they are?

A general how-to would also be greatly appreciated... this mod into a 95 is turning into a big event.

hell I used phone wires to wire mine up. not like it draws too much power, and half the wires are only for data. just go to home depot or somewhere and have a few feet of a light gauge wire cut.

well, mine was a '90 or '89 Cutlass DIS going into a '92 Cutlass, so everything worked properly (post '93 Cutlasses can't get fuel data for it.) I found a wiring guide on here for it, followed it, and just spliced in wherever I needed to. Just get a wiring diagram/guide, wire strippers, and some electrical tape.. I don't know how well it'll work out for you though seeing as how you're going into a '95, and I've only dealt with Cutlasses in the matter.

Guest Anonymous

My main concern is getting it to work, light up, and the compass to work. As for all the other features, if they work, great, if they don't, oh well... I just hope it will light up and appear to operate. I am considering doing a custom fiberglass dash modification to house the unit.

-R

My main concern is getting it to work, light up, and the compass to work. As for all the other features, if they work, great, if they don't, oh well... I just hope it will light up and appear to operate. I am considering doing a custom fiberglass dash modification to house the unit.

-R

I did that.. all I used was some 14 or 16 gauge wire from a local auto store.

I need to extend the wires from my 88-93 DIC harness to reach and t-splice into my 95 DIC harness. Where can I go for the wires, are they expensive, and does anyone know what gage they are?

A general how-to would also be greatly appreciated... this mod into a 95 is turning into a big event.

The best type of wire to get is automotive grade wire. IIRC, it's type TXL. I don't really know where to get it new, maybe at http://www.painlessperformance.com If you have access to some junk cars, you can use their wiring; this would probably be the cheapest way to go and you may even get all of the correct colors. The stuff you can get at the auto parts store is general use wire and is not of the same quality. I've used the parts store stuff before and have noticed that it's insulation will start to melt while soldering/heat-shrinking while the insulation on the factory wire does not. Also, the parts store wire is not as finely stranded and flexible as the factory stuff.

The size of DIC wiring should be 20 AWG.

I've never use crimp-on connectors to lengthen wire. When they're crimped with cheapie crimpers, they're loose and will get looser. I usually neatly twist, solder and heat-shrink the connections. It takes practice to get nice results. I heat the bare wire with the soldering gun and touch the solder to the wire. When the wire is hot enough, the solder will wick into the wire strands.

I didn't even bother sodering or crimping anything. just twisted them together and used a shit load of electrical tape.