DIC electronics

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I finally got my 88-93 DIC w/ harness, but when i opened the box there was some other thing in there. Its about 6 inches square, metal, and is filled with a computer motherboard... what does this have to do with anything? It has one wiring harness coming out with about 15 wires, which doesnt match that on the DIC... The odd thing is that there is only one set of wires coming in, like an input, but no output. Is this necissary to opearte the DIC? This is going to be modded into a 95.

This a complete guess, but is it a stereo amplifier? The amp in my Trofeo was a metal box that sat under the console and was about 8x6x2". That sounds a bit like what you've got there, although as I said its a stab in the dark since I have no idea where the amps are located in our cars.

Guest Anonymous

Could be. The wires on the mystery box do not match the DIC wires. I have heard no mention of this box on anyones DIC install sites. Has anyone else modded an older DIC into a 94-96 GP? I need ideas on putting it into the dash. Im thinking on cutting out the cubby and ashtray below the AC and doing a custom install there... what do you guys think?

Ross....

If you have the 91-93 VFD DIC then what you have is probably the lamp module interface.. Its a silver looking box with fins that looks like a SMALL AMP?... 3 or those wires go to the DIC and those are the DATA wires. The rest go to the other sensors.

Guest Anonymous

the VFD is the one with the open doors and burned out bulbs, correct? That one isnt mine... Its just like the one on your website, the LCD I presume. Nothing on it about lamps. The box is black with an unpainted metal top, no fins or anything. In fact, I dont even know how it would mount becuase there are no brackets...

The DIC has 11 wires and the box has 14-16. I think only a few of them match in colour.

If its black and thin that's probably the frontdash/door speaker AMP

If your GP has the door speakers... look under the center of the dash there should be an AMP that looks like it.

Guest Anonymous

I hope so, since I havent a clue how it wires in. What do you think of my idea of removing the cubby/ashtray below the 95 AC controls and putting the unit there? Its in about the same place as the 88-93's...

It sounds like the suspension control box that goes under the front pass. seat in a plastic housing. There was one in the '90 ste I got my front seats and dic out of. It had one big connector w/12+ wires and 4more (2blk/1red/yellow or something) that ran to either side. It has nothing to do with your dic.

suspension control box.. guess our cars have active stability management then right? :lol: :lol:

those late 80s/early 90s cars.. so damn technologically advanced :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I asked the seller and he said he didnt know what it was so sent it anyway. It had nothing to do with the DIC, as i have the DIC up and running now.

suspension control box.. guess our cars have active stability management then right? :lol: :lol:

those late 80s/early 90s cars.. so damn technologically advanced :lol:

You would be surprised how long some things we consider "modern" have been around! Rear ABS was an option in my 1972 Cadillac, multiport fuel injection was an option in 1976, and airbags have been around since the 70's!

Guest Anonymous

Yes, and the 10-function trip computer came out on the BMW 733i in 1983... I think it was the first car to offer it, but cold be wrong. I love how all the late 80's and early 90's GMs came out with all these technological advancements, like the HUD ,DIC, and digital dashes...