Dashboard speaker removal

whiteSE

So how do those covers on the dash come off so you can get to the speaker??

Now I am asking based on a 1988-1993 Grand Prix Dashboard.

I don't see any screws - do they just pry off?? I don't want to break them.

Thanks guys.

Phil.

Remove the dash pad :x Oh that's not good - Damn you GM!!! Ok, I vented I really need to replace those buzzy front speakers.

Thanks. Phil

it's not that hard to remove the dash pad actually. i've worked on other cars where the dash pad is much harder to remove. it's easier if you have someone helping you move it around

To remove the dash pad, there should be two screws above the gauge cluster, then when you open the glove compartment, there will be a ~7mm screw in the center of the glove compartment and straight up(might need a flashlight to see it up in there).. Then you should be able to gently lift up on it until it comes loose and then pull it towards you to completely free it..set it aside and the speaker removal from there is pretty straight-forward. I'm if forgetting anything, I'm sure someone will be along here shortly to correct me.

Yep thats about it. Personally I found it less of a pain in the ass to just take the glove box out to reach the one screw... thats up to you.

:? Mine just popped off with a lil force. Someone must have not replaced the screws. It stayed in place just fine w/o them I guess.

Well, I guess that doesn't sound too bad.....a job I will have to tackle they sound worse every day and I can't turn a CD up without the speakers cracking.

oh well, as soon as it stops raining here I will get right to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions - this board is very helpful for technical info.

Phil.

Well, I guess that doesn't sound too bad.....a job I will have to tackle they sound worse every day and I can't turn a CD up without the speakers cracking.

oh well, as soon as it stops raining here I will get right to it.

Thanks for all the suggestions - this board is very helpful for technical info.

Phil.

If you need help I'm in Ottawa I could give you a hand if I have time whenever you're planning on doing it.

If you need help I'm in Ottawa I could give you a hand if I have time whenever you're planning on doing it.

Thanks man I appreciate that - I may come looking for you if I get in trouble :)