What is this filter good for((Pic))

Big Blue

HPIM0311.jpg

It's the little one on the valve cover,what purpose does it do???,are isit just a dress up thing.I always see them on honda's and car's with 3.8's-3.1's etc

since i have a 3.1 i really want to do some mods to it like,cold air intake etc.

that's maybe2fast's car. there was a hose running from that hole to the intake after the airbox. it's part of the PCV system. the hose was removed and replaced by that filter

With a filter like that placed in you valve cover, you're venting the fumes/gases from the crankcase to the atmosphere instead of having them injected back into the engine to be burned off...the PCV system is emissions related...it's purpose is to remove harmful vapors from the engine and keep them from being expelled into the atmosphere. Most people put the filters there instead of running tubing to their aftermarket intakes.

FYI

you may or may not know this already

that is not a cold air intake either.

it is simply a short tube with a cone filter.

cold air intake needs to be getting cold air from ouside the engine bay to the intake and not hot air from the engine bay into the intake.

dressup things include painting parts and pieces.

colored wire loom

colored silicone hoses

degreasing the engine bay and keeping it as dirt free as possible.

Monty

With a filter like that placed in you valve cover, you're venting the fumes/gases from the crankcase to the atmosphere instead of having them injected back into the engine to be burned off...the PCV system is emissions related...it's purpose is to remove harmful vapors from the engine and keep them from being expelled into the atmosphere. Most people put the filters there instead of running tubing to their aftermarket intakes.

Thats the intake for the PCV system. The tube that runs to the air filter hose is before the TB, meaning there's not really any vacuum there, whereas the other end of the PCV system has more vacuum. Where that filter is, is the low vacuum end of the system - Air and fumes are not venting out, rather air is being sucked in at that point. The reason the stock system has a tube running into the air filter housing is so the air that enters is filtered.

Thats the intake for the PCV system. The tube that runs to the air filter hose is before the TB, meaning there's not really any vacuum there, whereas the other end of the PCV system has more vacuum. Where that filter is, is the low vacuum end of the system - Air and fumes are not venting out, rather air is being sucked in at that point. The reason the stock system has a tube running into the air filter housing is so the air that enters is filtered.

Due to our PCV systems being a closed system design, there WILL be normal and/or excess amounts of crankcase fumes that actually get pulled back into the intake system...hence the oily residue left in the intake.

can you put those breather filters on without having an intake like that? just having the stock air box/tube

Yes, just plug the hole in the intake hose.

can you put those breather filters on without having an intake like that? just having the stock air box/tube

any suggestions to plug the hole with?

any suggestions to plug the hole with?

A rubber gromet of some sort, should be able to find some at a hardware store or autoparts store.

This statement is "somewhat" correct.

The front valve cover with a breather hose connected to the intake sucks in clean air and circulates it through the engine. The air combines with vapors in the engine crankcase it exits to the back valve cover (where the PCV valve is located). The PCV valve controls how much air vapors to go in the intake manifold.

However, the front valve cover where the breather hose is located does not always just sucks in air but enough pressure in the engine causes air vapor to come out of the breather hose (front valve cover) and those air vapor is now introduced into the intake system. It causes your intake to have oil traces and intake systems to become dirty.

Even wonder why if you take out your intake hose from the throttle body and find oil inside it? It could be also the cause of the IAC to become clogged up with dried up oil gunk. Hmmmm....

I may have to do something with my front valve cover breather hose. Good thing someone mentioned this again.

Check this link

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/breatherhose.htm

This statement is "somewhat" correct.

The front valve cover with a breather hose connected to the intake sucks in clean air and circulates it through the engine. The air combines with vapors in the engine crankcase it exits to the back valve cover (where the PCV valve is located). The PCV valve controls how much air vapors to go in the intake manifold.

However, the front valve cover where the breather hose is located does not always just sucks in air but enough pressure in the engine causes air vapor to come out of the breather hose (front valve cover) and those air vapor is now introduced into the intake system. It causes your intake to have oil traces and intake systems to become dirty.

Even wonder why if you take out your intake hose from the throttle body and find oil inside it? It could be also the cause of the IAC to become clogged up with dried up oil gunk. Hmmmm....

I may have to do something with my front valve cover breather hose. Good thing someone mentioned this again.

Check this link

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/breatherhose.htm

Read my second reply above. "Due to our PCV systems being a closed system design, there WILL be normal and/or excess amounts of crankcase fumes that actually get pulled back into the intake(I'm referring to the intake hose just past the air filter housing, it does get pushed back into the intake manifold here as well..just coming from the opposite valve cover to make it's way to the same place)system...hence the oily residue left in the intake."

EDIT: In my first post, I should have just stated that *SOME* of the vapors will be vented to the front valve cover under certain operating conditions w/ a filter on the front valve cover like that...instead, anyways, hopefully all these posts help everyone to understand just how our PCV systems operate.

so all in all, it is better to have a little filter instead of the hose?

In my opinion, the little filter on top of the front valve cover is better (plug the hole in the intake hose). You will have a clean air intake without getting oily intake hose, IAC, throttle plate. The little filter will become dirty though and some oil residue will start to spray on the front valve cover and underside of the engine.

I'm in the process of researching and using PCV Catch Can. There are many PCV Catch Can available out there.

I need a catch can or one of those little filters, but the filters are like $16 at Canadian Tire so screw that. Right now I just have the tube disconnected from the intake hose and turned so it drops down (and burns off the engine maybe :confused: :lol: ). I got sick and tired of my TB and IAC getting dirty as hell and making my car run like garbage.

Well thanks everybody :D

so you all think it's a good idea to get one of those breathers,but to make sure u plug up that hole in the air box where that hose used to be :D

Just a note: When I had a breather on my PCV it STUNK like hell! I had to run the line back into the intake. Anyone else have this problem? :shock:

Just a note: When I had a breather on my PCV it STUNK like hell! I had to run the line back into the intake. Anyone else have this problem? :shock:

I don't have a breather but my hose is disconnected from the intake, so same deal. I guess my car does stink a little sometimes, especially if I drink hard.

LMAO!!

OPPS! I didn't mean to write that :oops:

:lol:

oh also I was checking the fluids on the car today

The PCV hose is pointing down onto the top of the airfilter box.. it left a bit of a oily film on it which I wiped off with a rag. Good to know it's designed so it's suppose to go back into the intake! :roll: