GutlessSupreme

Alright. I want new front speakers. But I don't know jack shit about audio stuff. I don't know what 2 way or 4 way means, I don't know what a tweeter does (for high ranges?).

I want to replace my dash speakers with something cheap and decent so that they don't crackle like hell all the time, and I want to stick a speaker in each front door. I read that someone stuck tweeters in the cutout for the manual window knob.. this would be ideal for my situation because I'm going to need to fill those holes soon somehow anyway.

I don't want subs, I don't want amps. My rear speakers are fine. Bass hits well, my mid and high ranges blow eggs. I want to hear that I don't have to remove anything under the dash pad, because if I do I will start slitting throats (just got finished putting my dash back together. the dash pad was easy. the rest...)

Someone recommend stuff to me, please.

:P

If you don't want to hassle with amps, then get a good set of "full range" speakers and run them off the head unit. Get a set that are called "2-way" or "3-way". Don't get a set of "Dual Cone" speakers like you would find for 5 bucks at Wal-Mart-- they are no better than your stock speakers. 2 and 3 Ways have separate tweeters (3ways have mids also) mounted inside the housing above the woofer cone. If your car doesn't have factory door speakers, then you might want to find a set of speaker mounts from a Cutty with door speakers. Use them to mount the speakers in the doors (if you want to go with 5 1/4's,) or you can use the mounts as a template to make your own plates to fit 6 1/2's. I'd suggest you spend more than $60-70 on a set of speakers, like some Sony XPlod's, anything less will sound crappier than the stockers. Finally, don't put speakers in both the dash and door at the same time. It will sound much much better if you put them in the doors only. Get a good set of 6X9's for the back, too. Spend a good $100-120 (get the same brand as the fronts) for some good 6X9's and you won't miss having a subwoofer.

If you're broke, then hit up the pawn shops. Stay away from brands like Jensen, Sparkomatic, Koss, BOSS, Kraco, or the shit you can buy at Checker or Pep Boys. Stick with the Alpines, Sonys, Pioneers, Kenwoods, JBLs, Infinitys, Rockford Fosgates, etc..

Thanks, that info helped a lot. Do you think I really should look for a stock door mount, or could I try to make my own out of plexi or something similar?

I made mine out of 3/8" plywood. You could use Medium Density Fiberboard, also. Plexi would definitely break. Maybe you could make a template out of paper and trace it onto the wood. I used my stock mounts as a template to make my plates. That worked slick for me cause the holes were already drilled.

Check out my website: Here's the page detailing my speaker istallation. I installed separates in my doors, but if you do full range speakers, you can eliminate the part of the plate that houses the tweeter...

I have 2-way speakers in my doors and dash, and I love it. Got a really full sound in the car, but I had to get an amp to power the door speakers. If its one or the other, I'd say go with good door speakers for sure. Do you have stock headunit or aftermarket? Maybe its not your speakers doing the distorting...

You need to first decide whether you want new dash speakers or put speakers in the doors. If you want both, you will NEED to run an amp. But I highly suggest JUST putting speakers in the doors. I have a set in the dash and i cut the wires to them they fuck up the sound because i have a good set of 5.25's in the doors running off 60 watts a piece. Since you don't want to run an amp, if you put speakers in the doors, you'll need to extend the wires from the deck to the door. It's simple, just run extend the wires and route them through the dash to the doors and hook them up. Since you just want to run off the deck, you'll want a set of LOW power 5.25 or 6.5's in the door or you'll get distorted sound like you have now. Also, if you still have the stock HU in there, that shoul dbe the FIRST thing you replace. We did that in my dad's truck and it made a WORLD of difference. However if you have an aftermarket HU then go to door speakers, they sound GREAT! I would suggest saving up for a good set or speakers and a small amp to run them all. It WILL improve the sound. Either way I hope I have helped!

Good luck! :)

alright. thanks for the help guys :)

I guess I should upgrade my HU first then, then probably get a decent pair of 5 1/4s for my doors and lose my dash ones. yes?

can someone take a look at these for me, and tell me if they're decent (or if it should be an improvment over stock), for the money anyway =

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1072284961606&skuId=6263633&productCategoryId=cat03066&type=product - $130

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069297060355&skuId=6201674&productCategoryId=cat03066&type=product - $130

if those suck, can anyone recommened something under $170 that has MP3 playback capability?

check ebay for speakers. i got 2 way 4 inch pioneer's from ebay for my dash for $20, and 2 way poineer 6x9's at abc warehouse for also $20 on sale, for the rear

alright. thanks for the help guys :)

I guess I should upgrade my HU first then, then probably get a decent pair of 5 1/4s for my doors and lose my dash ones. yes?

can someone take a look at these for me, and tell me if they're decent (or if it should be an improvment over stock), for the money anyway =

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1072284961606&skuId=6263633&productCategoryId=cat03066&type=product - $130

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069297060355&skuId=6201674&productCategoryId=cat03066&type=product - $130

if those suck, can anyone recommened something under $170 that has MP3 playback capability?

Eww yuck, i don't think no-name brands are a good idea. Find a Pioneer/Kenwood/other good name brand otherwise you're just spending money on something no better than your headunit!

Heres one I'd check out that's in your price range. I have a Kenwood and I really like it, no problems with it. Lots of others on this site too.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=kenkdcmpv622&store=&catid=319

Also check out there are some JVC and Sony that are cheap too.

I bought my 800w amp from etronics.com and was happy with the service.

im running a pioneer deh-3500 deck and it is awesome. In the door i have 2 infinity 3 1/2 inch speakers powered by the deck, then in the back i have 2 6X9 pioneer 4 ways. It produces great sounds, not a lot of bass though, i don't know if it is just the 4 way speakers or what, or if it is the fact i am used to have 2 10inch rockfords in the trunk. But when the subs are off, doesn't give a lot of bass. When everything is on, the sound is absolutly amazing. I would recommend the infinitys though. and the pioneer deck,

nick

Definitely, yes. Get a set that don't look cheap, otherwise they will sound crappier than your stockers...

Um, no and no. Aiwas are total garbage. I had a buddy buy a cheap-ass Aiwa and it broke after 6 months. Never heard of the other brand, so I would totally stay away. I agree with C-Bad, go with a good name brand. I prefer Pioneers myself cause every one I've owned has lasted me more than 3 years each (my last one kept on truckin past the 5 year mark- it was in 3 cars of mine.) I have a friend who's partial to Kenwoods and they seem to be just as good. JVC's are ok, but don't expect one to last longer than 2 years. Sony's go to shit after about 3. I agree with 93Cutlass, also; browse eBay for deals on brand new stereos and speakers. You'll lose out on an extended warranty (which are overrated anyway) but you'll save a ton of money over retail price. Most of the retailers on eBay are reputable, but be sure to check their feedback...

In the door i have 2 infinity 3 1/2 inch speakers powered by the deck

3 1/2's in the doors?!?!? :shock: I know how crappy 3 1/2's sound in the dash, so why did you go that small in the door? Just curious, that's all.

don't have time to read all that right now but thanks guys...

and I wouldn't consider Aiwa a cheap no name brand :roll: I loved my Aiwa cd player a from a few years ago..

I have to read this ove more when I get home. but again, thanks!

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13657

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13051

Or if that one is a little too $$ with shipping

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13664

If you can afford the 1st Clarion(the 635) I'd look at that one. I have the 835 and LOVE IT. It reads MP3's quickly and has tons of features. If you want better graphics and display go with the pioneer but I think the Clarion would probably be better bang for the buck.

After you get a new deck I'd definetly look at getting a set of infinity 5.25's for the doors. If you like a bit brigther sound maybe check out some MB Quarts discuss line. I have both the infinity ref and discuss quarts and enjoy them both, but the quarts are definetly a little brighter. Quarts also might require you to run a small amp. Don't know i fyou wanna do that, but i'd suggest it in the future!

Good luck

3 1/2 or possibly possibly 4'' came in the car stock. Bose system uses 6x9s and 3 1/2. they sound good though and produce a lot of sound, with no distortion, the produce the highs like they are supposed to, and the 6x9s do the mids and some highs cause they are 4-way and the subs take care of the lows. quite simple set up, and it is amazing

if you going sony :nono: then you should bash your head against the wall right now....they are overpriced and not worth the haggle. There cd players suck and I dont want to get into it with there speakers! I would rather by a Aiwa deck and speaker setup anyday. Personally you cant go wrong with Pioneer decks( I love Alpine but you cant get one that low with the MP3 function). Speakers are more difficult to pick out, Infinity is a quality product....a bit expensive, but cheaping out will show as soon as you turn on the tunes!

For speakers I wouldn'y buy anything but Infinity, they are totally worth the money and pound like subs(I used to have to show people). A few others but they are as much or more.

I would reccomend running them off an amp especially if you're pounding them cause the 22watts a deck puts out is way shy of 100rms the 6x9's want, and I think that's what killed my old deh-2500's rear channel. 65RMS@4ohms per channel or more would be reccomended

I just bought the deh-7600mp it's an awesome deck has lots of features and looks great. I was looking at Kenwood but I decided to spend the extra $100 to guarantee I would be happy with it. That's what I've found with car stereos, a bit more money can make a big difference on the quality of sound you get.

I just bought the deh-7600mp it's an awesome deck has lots of features and looks great.

Good choice, my man! I also have the DEH-P7600MP and I absolutely love it. My wife loved mine so much that we ended up buying one for her car, too! The only thing I wish it had was the ablility to name your radio station presets like you can on the Sony's. It's kinda wierd after playing an MP3 cd and seeing the names of the songs scrolling across the screen, then when you flip over to the radio, all you see is the frequency.

As far as speaker brands, if you're talking top-end, I'm partial to Bostons. Spendy? Yes. Awesome sound reproduction? Most definitely. Worth every penny? Damn skippy! I wouldn't recommend them to someone on a budget who doesn't want to use any amps in their system, though...

yikes there's a lot of info and recommendations here. all I can say is thanks alot. :)

unfortunely, it looks like all I can do is bookmark this thread until my summer job starts up.. I can't even pay for the inspection I need right now.. :shock:

Yeah you are best to wait and do it right the first time than be kicking yourself in the pants for not being able to spend enough for something you would have been happy with...

But like I've said to numerous people on the board as far as speakers go- just go to best Buy or a stereo shop where can listen to all the brands, have them hook it up directly to a modest price headunit (for accurate comparison to what will be in your car, not hooked up to a big amp). See what you think woul satisfiy you. Hell, Sony Xplode speakers are cheap and you MAY like the sound of them... in the end its really your desision.

Headunits are a bit different.. you want to get something good that will have enought power, the features you want, and woun't break. This is where good recommendations can really come in handy. :)