This tops it all off..

supreme_style21

I had a buddy's Regal for a week while she was out of town.. I borrowed my own car to another friend during this period.. I got it back tonight when he informed me that, while fueling up yesterday, accidently poured half a bottle of POWER STEERING FLUID into my gas tank. He grabbed it out of my back seat, thinking it was fuel injector cleaner. So I've now got half a tank of gas with half a bottle of power steering fluid in it... think this is gonna go thru the system without royally destroying something? :evil:

Whoa did he not read the bottle not for nothing man yur friend is a fool i would get that checked out ASAP. Power Steering fluid is thick hopefully it wont gather the crap on the bottom of yur gas tank and clog the fuel pump get that checked as soon as possible.

If I'm not mistaken, power steering fluid is petroleum based, so I think it's no different than burning a little oil like when your rings are worn. As long as your tank is full, the PS fluid should mix with the gas and get diluted enough to be burned off in the combustion chamber. Your exhaust might be a bit smoky, though. I'd say fill the tank completely and run it down to 1/4 and see what happens. I don't think anything too terribly bad could happen since he only put in a half a bottle...

yeah, doesn't sound like you got too much in there, if nothin' else, you can considder the upper half of your engine lubricated now.

--Dave.

Hmm...I think if it were me I'd get some gasoline and some power steering fluid and mix them to see what happens. If the gas dissolves it I'd say go ahead and burn through the tank of gas, if not I'd look into installing a couple inline filters to stop the crap from reaching the engine.

that friend must really be a moron....hope all turns out OK

You can say that again.. I think I'm just gonna go fill 'er up and hope for the best!

please tell my why no one has considered siphoning out all the gas that's gettable, then filling the tank.

Burn the other crap in your lawn mower. That's what I do with my wintered motorcycle gas.

please tell my why no one has considered siphoning out all the gas that's gettable, then filling the tank.

I suggested burning it off cause I know how hard getting a hose down into the tank is. Since the fluid in question is petroleum based and in a small quantity, it shouldn't mess anything up. Think of all the impurities and crap that are in the gas to begin with. The cars run fine with all that junk mixed in. If it were corn syrup or sugar, then I'd say replace the whole tank and fuel pump alltogether...

Burn the other crap in your lawn mower. That's what I do with my wintered motorcycle gas.

think 16 gallons will be enough for the lawnmower this summer? Probably last the next 10 years. :lol:

think 16 gallons will be enough for the lawnmower this summer? Probably last the next 10 years. :lol:

hehe.. syphoning would make sense, but I have nothing else to run it in..

I've ran down half a tank today and nothing major has happened.

Like disco said, its all petroleum based.. It was a little hesitant on the way to work today, but that could be caused by a number of things. So far so good.. I won't loose any sleep over it .

actually, Power steering fluid is VERY similar to ATF, just with no detergents, and I've heard of people running ATF to clean their engines. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

See, you say, "PLEASE tell my why....."

And you get multiple responses. :D :D :shock: Just proves politeness has virtue. :wink:

I sit red faced yet smiling,

Lee

See, you say, "PLEASE tell my why....."

And you get multiple responses. :D :D :shock: Just proves politeness has virtue. :wink:

I sit red faced yet smiling,

Lee

[Forrest Gump Mode] My momma always said PLEASE is the magic word! [/Gump]