Car Audio Question: Headunit setup

GrandPrix34

I recently purchased an Alpine CDM-9803 and installed it myself...the prob is the damn thing sticks out too much! Looking towards the back of the cubby hole where the headunit is mounted, can i cut that plastic wall in the back to make more room for the wires not to bundle up and me have to use that 1" ext. mounting hardware?

How have you guys setup your headunits? Pics? Tips on relocation/arranging wires so i can fit the damn thing in further back!

What year is it? If it's a pre-94, I did this when I installed my JVC (before I lost it the first time). I used a screwdriver to crack a hole in the back of that cubby so I could get the one piece wiring harness through (I have a 1.5 DIN :roll: ) So yeah, I did it the ghetto fab way.

Be careful if you cut through the back. I believe the HVAC vent path goes right behind there. It wouldn't be good to have hot air on the back of your new CD head unit, especially if the amp is built-in. :oops:

this is why i plan on relocating my head unit :) oh and use that space to the old head unit for a equalizer and gauges. or i could be mean as hell and just put my stock one back in its place :lol:

i didn't like the way it stuck out either so i bought a new 1.5 din pioneer off e-bay that wasn't any deeper than stock. it's a cool radio. even has a built in x-over for the front/rear speakers. i am going to buy another for my g-body grand prix.