oil pump drive....

Heza

picture write up of oil pump drive seal fix in a 3100?  

1. 1. picture write up of oil pump drive seal fix in a 3100?

thats the culprit to the low oil levels in my girlfriends (my old) '94 Prix SE. of those of you out there...how many are interested in a picture write up of the repair? this is for a 3100. poll and let me know!

If people cant figure it out on their own (especially on a pushrod where you dont have to pull the head) they shouldnt be working on cars

pictures always help, espically if its your first time doing something

not everybody is a master mechanic who's certified and works on cars everyday

If people cant figure it out on their own (especially on a pushrod where you dont have to pull the head) they shouldnt be working on cars

pictures always help, espically if its your first time doing something

not everybody is a master mechanic who's certified and works on cars everyday

I totally agree. I thought we were all here to help each-other out. I think if anyone has experience with any type of repair or whatever on a W-Body (or anything we've worked on,) we should give them guidance. I know when I was a teen, I sure needed help when I first started working on my own stuff. I'm always happy to give out pointers to those less experienced than I am, and when you're first "feeling your car out," pictures and detailed instructions sure do help make the job go faster and easier.

I vote YES and keep 'em coming!!!

Ive never heard of 3100 having this problem :?

I know mine leaks. I tried replacing it once and gave up on it, that sucker just wouldn't come out. I'll get it out someday when I feel like ripping everything apart again. That o-ring must have been hard as rock, and I still have the new one in the glove compartment! :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

you don't need to be a "master mechanic who's certified and works on cars everyday" to fix the oil pump drive seal. some common sense will be enough. it's a very straightforward job, at least on the 3.1 engine. i used a channel locks to grab the oil pump drive shaft and wiggled it out. when you slide the new seal over the shaft, you might want to use a piece of paper or tape over the 'teeth' so the new seal isn't damaged as it passes over the teeth.

you don't need to be a "master mechanic who's certified and works on cars everyday" to fix the oil pump drive seal. some common sense will be enough. it's a very straightforward job, at least on the 3.1 engine. i used a channel locks to grab the oil pump drive shaft and wiggled it out. when you slide the new seal over the shaft, you might want to use a piece of paper or tape over the 'teeth' so the new seal isn't damaged as it passes over the teeth.

Exactly my point.....its very easy on a pushrod 660. No need for pics. Its like a 30 min job

when you slide the new seal over the shaft, you might want to use a piece of paper or tape over the 'teeth' so the new seal isn't damaged as it passes over the teeth.

this place is just full of tips and tricks tonight

thank you

Monty

I bid 20 min.

not on the 3100. nope, not at all. took me almost 3 hours to get the upper intake off and i still need to get the fuel rails off to access it. but im taking the lower intake off too since those seals are crap.

3 hrs??!?!?!?!!? What'd you do, pull the motor, then take the upper intake off? Its like 10 bolts for the upper intake and disconnect the TB and EGR and its off

3 hrs??!?!?!?!!? What'd you do, pull the motor, then take the upper intake off? Its like 10 bolts for the upper intake and disconnect the TB and EGR and its off

1) i said almost 3 hours. 2) i wasnt completely locked into the project. 3) 2 of the bolts also holds the alternator brackets and one bracket is a pain in the ass to get off since i dont have small hands to get in small places. 4) i couldnt find a way to get the the O-ring bracket bolt with the fuel rails in the way.

but Robby, if you want to talk shit...feel free. so you are master mechanic, im not. i just get the job done correctly in the time it takes me.

since i need to pull the lower intake off to fix the lower intake gaskets, i dont see the need to race and fuck something up only to fix it again later on.

1) i said almost 3 hours. 2) i wasnt completely locked into the project. 3) 2 of the bolts also holds the alternator brackets and one bracket is a pain in the ass to get off since i dont have small hands to get in small places. 4) i couldnt find a way to get the the O-ring bracket bolt with the fuel rails in the way.

but Robby, if you want to talk shit...feel free. so you are master mechanic, im not. i just get the job done correctly in the time it takes me.

since i need to pull the lower intake off to fix the lower intake gaskets, i dont see the need to race and fuck something up only to fix it again later on.

Im not talking shit at all. Im just shocked it took that long. I understand how doing one thing leads to another you and get choked up.