Addco sway bar, never installed one before

topless94style

What do I have to do? I took out the bolts on the metal straps, but I am unsure what bolts to take out next. Im guessing its the two that are kinda hard to get at with some decent force, on the strut/knuckle were the end of the stock bar goes. Can i take the tires off and get at these bolts easier?

Guest TurboSedan

put the car up fairly high on jackstands and remove the wheels. you will need to pull the lower strut bolts out of one of the struts and maneuver it out of the way to get the bar in & out. be careful of the brake hose when you do this.

put the car up fairly high on jackstands and remove the wheels. you will need to pull the lower strut bolts out of one of the struts and maneuver it out of the way to get the bar in & out. be careful of the brake hose when you do this.

where are these bolts? sorry, ive never worked on suspension on a car before. I got the sway bar ready to come out, just need to move one of the struts out of the way.

Guest TurboSedan
The bottom 2 bolts going through the strut. The 2 nuts are 15/16".

yep. use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a deep socket 15/16" (preferably a Craftsman socket) and you might need some PB blaster or liquid wrench. after you get the nuts off, thread the nut back on a little and smack 'em part way out of the strut with a big hammer. then unthread the nut completely and use a 3/8" extension and hammer to knock them completely out of the strut (this will protect the threads from the blow of the hammer) oh yeah! make sure you scribe a mark around the bolt head on the strut so you can get the alignment back to what it was when you put everything back together. when you are moving the strut out of the way to get the bar in, you will probably have to push down on the knuckle....just make sure you don't put too much stress on the brake hose when you do this. good luck.

The bottom 2 bolts going through the strut. The 2 nuts are 15/16".

yep. use a 1/2" drive breaker bar with a deep socket 15/16" (preferably a Craftsman socket) and you might need some PB blaster or liquid wrench. after you get the nuts off, thread the nut back on a little and smack 'em part way out of the strut with a big hammer. then unthread the nut completely and use a 3/8" extension and hammer to knock them completely out of the strut (this will protect the threads from the blow of the hammer) oh yeah! make sure you scribe a mark around the bolt head on the strut so you can get the alignment back to what it was when you put everything back together. when you are moving the strut out of the way to get the bar in, you will probably have to push down on the knuckle....just make sure you don't put too much stress on the brake hose when you do this. good luck.

Thanks for the help, I got those nuts off, I just didnt take the extra step in getting the bolts out. I couldnt find a socket that fit. I have a complete Craftsman Mechanics set about 27X pieces. Only bad part is :oops: the time i spent working on my sisters pos I lost a few sockets and some of my dads wrenches.

Anyway, ya heza i thought about that and giving you a call to ask some questions but never did.

thanks again.

Guest TurboSedan
I got those nuts off, I just didnt take the extra step in getting the bolts out. I couldnt find a socket that fit.

if you have the nuts off, then all you need to do to get the bolts out is just smack 'em out of the strut with a BFH :) they do not thread into the strut or knuckle at all. they are splined tho, so it might take some force.