I KNOW this is a strange question...but...

gmrulz4u

Is it possible to get a New ignition key made WITHOUT using the existing one as a guide? Make sense?

The reason is that my Cutlass' ignition key that I had made about 3 years ago looks like shit. It's almost go NO ridges or anything...it almost just looks like a straight blade...I don't even understand how it still is able to turn the ignition!!?? I think the reason it's like this is because the key that came with the car, which I believe was original, was almost completely worn! So when the GM dealer made me the new key, obviously they just traced the old crappy one...

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing to use worn down keys in a cars ignition but I was just wondering if it's at all possible to get a new one made that matches the exact ridges of the original the car came with...

I only ask because I have read posts before that, if I remember correctly, said something like all you had to do to get a New key made was give the dealer your VIN number and they could somehow make one just from that!?? I'm guessing that if you lost yours keys the same thing would apply...however I'm not sure if GM still has cars from 1989 on file or whatever...

Anyone?

THANKS!:)

Guest TurboSedan

i can't answer your question, but maybe you should just get a new ignition lock cylinder and key? i would guess that the lock is probably close to worn out also.

i would like to know if GM can make a new ignition key from a VIN # also....

you don't always need proof of ownership, we just got new keys made for my friends 3000 GT VR4 (because the police "lost" the keys) they didn't ask for proof of ownership, just the vin, and they looked up the code and cut the keys right there on the spot.

when i got my ciera its keys were majorly worn down, took it to a dealer explained my situation and the guy was able to recut a new OE syle key back to the origional specs. worked beautiful after that

you don't always need proof of ownership, we just got new keys made for my friends 3000 GT VR4 (because the police "lost" the keys) they didn't ask for proof of ownership, just the vin, and they looked up the code and cut the keys right there on the spot.

that shouldn't happen.....

there should be little tags from your keys where the key rings go through. these get punched out and should be saved, but most people don't. those little tags have the code on them for your new key. depending on the year of your car the dealer might not be able to use your vin, so you would have to buy a new ign switch. check your owners manual and see if the codes are written down, if not i'm sorry, cuz my new ign switch ran me 130 bucks

so you would have to buy a new ign switch

Why?? All you need is a new KEY LOCK CYLINDER which costs like $20 and comes with New keys...