Help with door handles (also window and sunroof)

fyzix

Hey guys, I've replaced my driver's side exterior door handle on my 89 cultlass supreme international with the stock part twice and I'm fed up. I ran the door with no handle or lock all winter (just pushed down on the lock and lever linkage), but now the time has come to replace the handle. However, there's no way in hell I'm going to cough up the cash for another cheap, scrap alloy stock handle.

I ran across the handle from 1A, but they only ship to the US. Has anyone in Canada managed to get one of these handles? Could someone relay the handle to me and help out a fellow W-Body owner?

Furthermore, my driver's side window is screwed, it falls out of the runners on either side, just a huge pain. Anyone else had issues with their power windows?

Lastly, my power sunroof doesn't stop at the sealed point. I have to estimate when my sunroof is sealed and release the button. Is this normal?

Thanks for helping out a newcomer.

first off welcome aboard.

i dunno if those handles are the best. if you use the search engiine you should find a site that uses stainless steel instead of the pot metal the OEM ones are made of.

as you know the OEM ones are crap.

Monty

1. I've gone through 3 or 4 used drivers side handles... I'm having good luck with my current one I'm just real easy on it :!:

2. Try taking the panel off the door there are a couple bolts for adjusting the tracks. I actually losened mine a little bit so the window moves faster.

3. I don't have a sunroof but I sure as hell want one!

Most important to door handle life is changing the way you use them.

Don't pull the door open with them. Use them just to pull the door open 2" or so, then grab the door itself to fully open.

10yrs of owning W-bodies and I have never had a door handle break with this method. This also does a good job of preventing them from bending out where the top part of the door handle sticks out. Only time I broke one is when my Grand Prix door handle was bent from the previous owner. It bothered me so much, I tried to unbend it, and SNAPPO!

I can give you an answer about the sunroof. It is not normal the way you describe yours. Mine will stop where it's supposed to even when I hold down on the switch. I'd be willing to bet that one of your microswitches are shot. My roof has (I believe) 2 switches mounted inside the tracks. The switches shut off the current to the motor when the roof passes over them.