changing plugs on a 90 lumina

syknesss

Guest Anonymous

I always unbolt the dogbones and take the alt. off. No need to tilt the motor forward. Unbolting the db allows my motor to roll forward on it's own.

good luck doing it without rotating the engine, there isn't much room back there

Agreed, just take the 5 minutes to unbolt the damn dogbone. Well worth the cuts and scrapes and pain in the ass not doing it would cause.

You don't even need a swivel ratchet. Just a plain one and a small assortment of extensions. Make sure you do the obvious when changing the plugs, like use Anti-Sieze and you might want to add a little dap of dielectric grease to the connections on the spark plug wires.

Guest TurboSedan

i always remove the alternator bracket from the engine with the alternator still attatched. bad side to that is you have to do an idle re-learn if you do (disconnecting the battery...). undoing the dogbones only will give you enough room, but not nearly as much room as removing the alternator gives you.

removing the alternator even gave me enough room to swap out the rear exhaust manifold no problem!

I can replace the plugs on a 2.8/3.1/3100 without undoing the dogbones, tilting the engine, or removing the AC. Hell, I can fit my whole arm down there, and start the plugs with my hands.

I'm a scrawny bastard myself, so I agree that it sure is nice having long skinny arms. I just changed the plugs on the wife's Loomie (96 3100). All I had to do was remove the ICM bracket and swing it out of the way to get my ratchet on the plugs, no rotating necessary. I also climbed up on to the intake manifold and squatted down so I could reach down there, but I didn't need to tilt the stinking motor. Now I gotta try the Regal here pretty soon. Might be a bit tricky on that 3800 without tilting...

All I had to do was remove the ICM bracket and swing it out of the way to get my ratchet on the plugs, no rotating necessary.

I didn't even have to do that....

i just got done ....i did wind up tilting it after that it was easy just a little painfull with all the sharp stuff back there cuttin my arm