Questions about cross over pipe

MommyTaz022200

How do you tell if your cross over pipe is having problems? What problems do they have? Like does the pipe itself break, are there seals on it that need to be replaced? I could be way off with this, but I'm kind of thinking maybe my cross over is shot and that's why my engine is so loud and has problems accelerating on the highway. If it helps I can bring my computer outside and record my car, but i'm not sure if I can put a recording on car domain for others to hear it.

Unless your GP is a Turbo, I highly doubt the problem is the crossover. It could be the cat or the down pipe the goes to the cat.

Turbo 3.1's are the ones with the cracks in the bellows of the crossover. The N/A 3.1's do not use bellows.

The reason I was thinking that is because my ex put it back on after the rebuild and I don't know if he put gaskets on it or how tight the bolts are or anything. The cat. doesn't glow, or seeem to make noise if I bang on it.

There is a very strong exhast smell when I have it running in the garage with the door open. The back of the car is by the door, but the smell is real strong inside the garage. When it's outside I don't really smell anything.

Well It could either be the EGR or the crossover leaking..... If you smell exhaust near the crossover.. .. A good chance it's loose. If it's loose enough it's letting oxygen into the exhaust. The O2 sensor is reading the rich Oxygen in the exhaust and thinking the fuel is too lean.. So the computer tires to compensate by dumping more fuel when it doesnt really need it.. So it's causing the car to run rich instead. That could explain the loss of power.

Last time I read my manual they absolutely do not reccomend having your car running in a garage unless its properly ventilated.. and that doesnt mean the garage door. So I wouldn't use a whiff in a garage as an acurate judgement.

How do you get your car out of the garage then? I open the door and start the car, then back it out. After I back it out the garage reeks like exhaust.

I would pull the GP out of the garage. Open the hood AND WITH THE HOOD OPEN, Sniff with your nose to see if you can smell the exhaust as you get closer to the crossover... That's right ..Use your nose to pinpoint it

Well It could either be the EGR or the crossover leaking..... If you smell exhaust near the crossover.. .. A good chance it's loose. If it's loose enough it's letting oxygen into the exhaust. The O2 sensor is reading the rich Oxygen in the exhaust and thinking the fuel is too lean.. So the computer tires to compensate by dumping more fuel when it doesnt really need it.. So it's causing the car to run rich instead. That could explain the loss of power.

The EGR was replaced by a mechanic after the rebuild, but he was my ex's friend so it might not be done right. I'll go and try to see if I can find where the smell is coming from as soon as it stops pouring.

Would either of them cause the engine to sound loud?

The EGR was replaced by a mechanic after the rebuild, but he was my ex's friend so it might not be done right. I'll go and try to see if I can find where the smell is coming from as soon as it stops pouring.

Would either of them cause the engine to sound loud?

I would imagine the engine would sound very loud if the exhaust wasn't bolted on correctly, or without gaskets.

AND WITH THE HOOD OPEN,

:lol: I don't even have the hood on the car right now, or the doors or front quarter panels. They're in my basement getting the rust removed where there is no rain and the air is dry.