Trouble with new rims

fragboy

I was just wondering if it a common practice to have to grind down the caliper bracket in order to get rims to fit on the GTPs? Should I do this or get spacers? The wheel salesman said that it wouldn't be an optimal setup to go with spacers, then, after 10 minutes of grinding and the rim still didn't fit, he suggested that I get spacers. Which do you think that I should do? Or is there a particluar brand or type of rim that I should get so as to avoid this?

The rims were Motegi MR4s. They are a 10 spoke wheel. 17s.

Oh yeah I am new to this site and it is the shit :peace:

Mark

Spacers arent really safe. Plus I would not recommend spacers in excess of 5/16" with stronger longer studs. Spacers cause weak points on the studs. If you repeatly take sharp corners at high Speed... The studs could break... And when that happens.. Ouch!

You really should get the correct size offset wheels for em to fit right.

Guest TurboSedan
The wheel salesman said that it wouldn't be an optimal setup to go with spacers, then, after 10 minutes of grinding and the rim still didn't fit, he suggested that I get spacers.

Mark

take the wheels back and get the right offset, and tell 'em you want new calipers too.

I had to grind down the caliper brackets AND use a 5mm spacer to get my wheels to fit.

I have ground down the caliper brackets on my wife's old car years ago to get the aftermarket wheels she wanted to fit, and never had any problems with it.

Yes, due to the design of the caliper brackets, probably 90% of all aftermarket wheels of the proper bolt pattern and offset don't actually fit.

Yes, due to the design of the caliper brackets, probably 90% of all aftermarket wheels of the proper bolt pattern and offset don't actually fit.

I guess I got lucky then! My aftermarket rims fit perfectly:D

I guess I got lucky then! My aftermarket rims fit perfectly:D

Yeah, it depends a lot on the style too.

Convex rims are more likely to fit without caliper clearance problems.

Flat face or concave rims are less likely to fit.

My CSA Gladiators are VERY concave and were a PITA to get 'em to fit.

I bought Eagle 077's for the convertible because they are one of the very few concave wheels that fit and clear the caliper brackets.

I actually ought to look and see how much room i have around my caliper mounting brackets. I know mine clear with a ton of space, but i wonder about how much.