BoilerTech

Hi, Gary Nelson here. New to your board and have a few questions. I'm 42 and a retired Navy Boiler Tech. I am looking at buying a 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Now, hold the laughter and flaming to a minimum please, but I've never owned a GM product. Lots of Pentastar cars and a few blue ovals. I know how to check for diagnostic codes on Pentastar cars, simply turn the key over 3 times and it goes into self diagnos mode. How can you do this on this particular Cutlass without the scan tool? Anything I should pay particular interest too when I check the car out? Thanks for any info, Gary

Get a paper clip. Put the two ends of the paper clip into the 2 diagnostic ports on the top, left hand corner making sure one end of the clip is in one whole, and vise versa. Then, put the key in the ignition, and turn it to the on position, but DO NOT START THE CAR!!! It will sound like fans kicking on or something. Then, the check engine light will flash. It will go 1 flash, then 2 flashes 3 times. Once that has flashed three times, any codes that you have will appear.

You can't do the "paperclip trick" if you have the 3100 engine. 3100's in 94 & 95 have a hybrid OBDI/OBDII PCM with flash ROM. You cannot replace the chip inside either. If you have the 3100, you need to have it scanned for sure. Not sure about the 3.4 DOHC, but I'm sure you can do the "paperclip trick" on a 94...

Welcome, Gary!

You simply CANNOT check for diagnostic codes on a 94 without a scan tool. 93 and older, yes, but 94-up, NO.

94 is not the best year for the convertible. Maybe it's just my particular 94 convertible, but I have never seen such poor quality control. Nothing fits quite right. I have had to grind down some really nasty looking welds to get trim pieces to fit right, enlarge a hole so a rear window switch would fit like it's supposed to, carpet wasn't installed correctly, and I even noticed when I removed the bow domelight that holes had been initially drilled in the wrong places. I didn't notice any such quality problems with my 88, 89, and 90 W-bodies.

A 94 3.4 DOHC will also need the following sooner or later:

- Power steering lines.

- Aux tranny cooler rubber lines.

- Intake manifold gaskets.

- Distributor plug O-ring leak repaired.

You might check to see if the previous owner has had any of these things replaced recently. If so, that's a good sign. Also, if you live someplace that it gets very hot, you will hate how the AC vents are behind the big airbag steering wheel. You only feel cool air when turning the steering wheel. It was fine in 88-93 pre-airbag cars since the air passed through the open spokes with no problem, but the airbag blocks almost all of the air. Sometimes (hot days especially) I wish I had gotten a 95 instead.

Welcome Gary,

Oldsmobiles aren't the poor mans car. They cost a lot of money to keep running in tip top shape. (If you aren't a mechanic) Other may disagree but the 3 that I have owned and the others my friends and family have owned have been a little costly. But worth EVERY CENT

94 is not the best year for the convertible. Maybe it's just my particular 94 convertible,

How can u complain about heat when u can just drop the top?

94 is not the best year for the convertible. Maybe it's just my particular 94 convertible,

How can u complain about heat when u can just drop the top?

Dropping the top doesn't make it cool when the weather is 90+ degrees out.

welcome to another Navy Vet.

depending on where you are many of the major auto part chains will check for codes for free.

autozone, checker auto are the first two that come to mind.

mayb there is someone near you that can help you out. there are many GP guys from clubgp.com that have the toys to scan their cars and many can scan other W's as well.

just need to get in touch with the right people around you.

good luck

Monty

my suggestion is to check for a scanner on ebay. My dad bought a newer one that actually is more universal and happens to work on my cutlass. If you are going to have a 3.4 make sure you check those belts. They have a tendancy to break and can leave you stranded. If you have a 3100 something to check out may be if the car was taken in to be serviced for the valve covers. Initially, GM actually had plastic ones. When the car gets older it'll leak if they weren't replaced. I don't know what they were thinking by using plastic instead of aluminum or steel. Good luck and good pick with the cutlass!

I don't know what they were thinking by using plastic instead of aluminum or steel. Good luck and good pick with the cutlass!

off topic, but it looks like plastic engine parts are here to stay. the intake manifold is plastic on my dad's '03 Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0 liter vortec v-8