Quirky E-Brake

LukeZ34

The E-Brake on the car is pissing me off.

For some time now, I've been using only the passenger side E-Brake, all because the cable keeps popping off of the drivers side caliper. Back in March, I got the cables all adjusted, and working perfectly, but a week later, the drivers side caliper cable had popped off again. Thus, leaving me with an E-Brake that only halfway works.

Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem? Any advice helps right now.

how'd it pop off? loose tension? those cables are a mofo to remove and put back on the calipers

solution = brutally murder the enginner who designed 1st gen wbody brakes

Yeah, must be nice to have some kind of E-brake w/ a 5 speed. :lol: Lemme tell you about my problems. I own THREE TGP's. I also own ONE Cutty. ALL THREE TGP's have the same problem, the pedal won't catch the teeth to ratchet the assembly, so it won't get any tension on the cables. If it does, you can't get much before it snaps loose again. So, goto the dragstrip. :lol: (J/K, I know you're going in July, just wanna give you some shit.)

See, I used to have the same problem Jay. There's times it would catch the teeth on the gear, and there's times it wouldn't, or it would pop loose and release the brake (boy that was fun, had to chase the car down the driveway once). I oiled the lever that catches on the teeth and haven't had the problem since then.

I'm gonna go get a picture of the caliper in it's present state.

I think it's popping off because something isn't releasing right. I usually have to pump the pedal twice to fully lock the brakes. If I recall right, it SHOULD be just one pump to lock them.. so something is out of adjustment.

Guest TurboSedan

i have upgraded the rear brakes on both of my cars, i even did a rear drum-to-disc conversion to my GTS. no working e-brake on either car and both cars are 5-speed manual. it really sux, ecspecially considering i deliver pizza in both of 'em and i'm constantly parking on steep hills (turn the wheel to the curb so it doesn't roll down the hill and/or shut the car off and put 'er in 1st) yeah, hardly safe!

maybe someday i'll actually get those '95 Regal cables installed :roll: my GTS requires even more creativity...

however, you get used to it :? i hate to say it but i think i'm to the point where i'd actually rather have shitty ass rear brakes with a working e-brake over better rear brakes w/no e-brake. i might even revert back to rear drums on my GTS just so i can have an e-brake again!

Luke - your car has the '94+ rear brakes doesn't it?? i thought i sold you some a '94+ rear brake setup awhile back? what e-brake cables are you using?

Luke - your car has the '94+ rear brakes doesn't it?? i thought i sold you some a '94+ rear brake setup awhile back? what e-brake cables are you using?

God I wish! You were going to sell me a set of 94+ calipers just before I sold my Lumina.

If I ever upgrade to the 94+ rear brakes, I'm going to try to get the e-brake to work. I know it's been done before, so it's worth trying. If I can't, then I'll snag a newer e-brake cable and pedal, though I really don't want to go through the work of getting that to fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know what the problem is but to cure it I had to drill a small hole in the hook that the cable end went over, and install a stainless steel ( so it wont rust and seize) cotter pin. I noticed on some models of Cutless there is a spring over the cable end to hold it in place, but I havent been able to get the spring anywhere'

• 2 weeks later...