Can somebody help me out and tell me what these things mean?

Guest shrtysdvs

Guest shrtysdvs

I just went to go get my emissions test and they failed me bc my service engine soon light was on. I got the code checked and these are the things they said that are wrong with the car. Crankshaft position sensor( A circuit low oput) and Evaperative emission control system( incorrect purge flow) so can you guys tell me what these things are and can i fix them myself or do i need to take it into the shop?

If you're good with tools and can follow directions, then you could probably do the repairs yourself. Changing the crank sensor is a pain, though. Best advice I can give you is to pick up a Haynes manual and look it over so you can get a better feel for your car. If you're really ambitious, scan eBay for a Factory Service Manual. You will have to take the car to a shop to get the codes cleared (unless you know someone with a scanner.)

I think the crank sensor is the same on the Series II from the series I.

If it is the sensor is right behind the harmonic balancer. you have to take off your pass tire and that plastic guard behind it. once that's done you take the harmonic balancer bolt out. (only way I got it out was to prop the wrench against the subframe, take out the ecm fuse, and crank the engine over and release as soon as you can. an air impact wrench even couldn't get it off.) after the nut is off you need to use a harmonic balancer puller. it looks like the inside of a peace sign. the puller should include the 3 proper metric bolts that screw into the balancer. after the harmonic balancer is off the secsor is right there, just 2 bolts and a dowel pin hold it in place.

He should have a 3100 in that car I think. Custom is the lower of the Regal packages.

No insult intended shrtysdvs mine is a custom also. My 1991 3.1 has it's crankshaft sensor in the center rear of the motor just under the head. It just unscrews I believe. I had a shop replace mine when it went bad.

If you're not having performance trouble at all that sensor may not be bad. Might have been a temporary glitch.

Can't he just clear the codes by removing the ECM fuse for a minute. He'd have to do an idle relearn but I'd hate to see him pay to replace a functioning sensor or pay $100+ to have it done.

Evaperative emission control system( incorrect purge flow)...this I know nothing about. Plugged charcoal canister? Pinched hose?

He should have a 3100 in that car I think. Custom is the lower of the Regal packages.

He has the 3800 Series II. The 3800 was an option on all models 91 and up.

Did you try to reset the computer mine had the emission control one come up along with the maf and intake temp sensor I reset the computer and it hasnt come on since.

Guest Anonymous
My 1991 3.1 has it's crankshaft sensor in the center rear of the motor just under the head. It just unscrews I believe. I had a shop replace mine when it went bad.

Cranshaft sensor has a clip holding it in. It just pulls out. The knock sensor unscrews and is in the same area as the crank sensor.

My Regal is a Custom and it has the 3800

Can't he just clear the codes by removing the ECM fuse for a minute. He'd have to do an idle relearn but I'd hate to see him pay to replace a functioning sensor or pay $100+ to have it done.

On a 96 with OBD-II, you can't just clear the memory out by disconnecting the battery.