A new HUB/WHEEL BEARINGs that lasted 1 month!!??

gmrulz4u

I posted a while ago about this strange "snapping" type noise coming from the front, drivers-side area. The noise started after I had both of my hubs/bearings replaced. Only 2 or 3 weeks later the noise started.

I have had the all of the following replaced with New parts:

- both upper strut bearings

- both hubs/wheel bearings

- both tie rod ends

- both lower ball joints

- both driveshafts/axles

I had the axles replaced today and then took it to get aligned...I was SO mad when I first heard the noise right after the axles were replaced...I feel like I just wasted a few hundred dollars...while I was at the alignment place I asked for another opinion and showed the guy the noise...he says he's about 75% sure that it's the drivers-side hub/wheel bearing! He's the 1st person to say that...and at first I blew it off because I had them replaced...but then I remembered that the noise started AFTER they were replaced!

So now I am going Saturday to the place I bought the hubs to get a New one under Warranty.

So I have two questions: 1) Has anyone else ever had a brand-new hub only last a few weeks? And 2) Do you think this could be the problem?

Basically it makes the "snap! snap!" noise when going any speed above about 5mph with the wheels turned at least 75% of a full turn...

THANKS!:)

its certainly possable, I have had a runnaround with a sunfire @ work and our parts people. basically it started with a simple moaning, now 6 drivers side wheel bearings later is fixed... so yeah.. its possable, it happens, and it sux for the tech that does the work, cause hes worken for free on the expence of a shitty part.....

later

joe

Does the noise only happen with the wheels turned? Are the snapping sounds close together (SnapSnapSnap vs. Snap...Snap...Snap)? Sounds like a bad CV Joint to me.

Yes it only happens with the wheels turned at least 3/4 of the way...mostly to the left...

And like I said, I just had brand-new axles installed today so I don't think it's them at all...plus the noise is the exact same, and coming from the exact same location...so in other words new axles have changed NOTHING...:(

... wait, you said the noise started after* the axels were replaced, if they torqued the bearings improperly (as tight as they could with an impact wrench) this could cause the issue you're talking about, and would also cause the bearing to fail right away, I believe they should be set at 250 ft/lbs of torque.

--Dave.

Well just to update you all...I did get a New Wheel Bearing under Warranty and it did indeed solve the problem...I guess for whatever reason the last one only lasted like 3 weeks...

Funny you mention over-tightening the wheel bearing because I took it this time to my regular mechanic and he told me that it was strange how tight the wheel bearings bolts were...especially since they hadn't been on for that long...

So maybe the place that installed them the 1st time over-tightened it or something...?