How to change brake rotors and pads???

90TGP

I don't want to sound like a jerk but isit the front are rear we're talking about also do you want step by step :)

for front disc brakes

1 Take of the wheel's

2 losen/take of the master cylinder cap

3 remove the 2 bolts that hold the calipers in place(1 side at a time)

4 get a flat head screw driver and pry off the caliper(be carful)

5 Get a pieace of wire,like a coat hanger and attact it to the strut and then the other end to the caliper(don't let it hang by the brake line)

6 take out the brake pads

7 using a buffing wheel clean up where the brake caliper sits(also the same one the bolt's make sure they are nice and clean

8 TO remove the rotor,is very easy on are cars it's a floating rotor :D so all you have to do is remove the bracket that holds the caliper in place and it slides right off.

9make sure you lossen the master cylinder cap/taken it off

10 using the old pads and some plyers(will fix my post with the proper name)take one of the old pads and put it in the caliper like you would be putting in new pads,but take those plyers and push back the pistons :wink:

11 reinstall the new pads,and do all these steps vice versa

also to bleed the system,pump the brakes up as hard as you can(don't put the brake to the floor)then start the vehicle and the brake should drop.(if it doesn't drop then you need a new master cylinder)money money

hear you go,the steps for front disc brakes.

i will fix it up a little more

Kyle

I don't want to sound like a jerk but isit the front are rear we're talking about also do you want step by step :)

for front disc brakes

1 Take of the wheel's

2 losen/take of the master cylinder cap

3 remove the 2 bolts that hold the calipers in place(1 side at a time)

4 get a flat head screw driver and pry off the caliper(be carful)

5 Get a pieace of wire,like a coat hanger and attact it to the strut and then the other end to the caliper(don't let it hang by the brake line)

6 take out the brake pads

7 using a buffing wheel clean up where the brake caliper sits(also the same one the bolt's make sure they are nice and clean

8 TO remove the rotor,is very easy on are cars it's a floating rotor :D so all you have to do is remove the bracket that holds the caliper in place and it slides right off.

9make sure you lossen the master cylinder cap/taken it off

10 using the old pads and some plyers(will fix my post with the proper name)take one of the old pads and put it in the caliper like you would be putting in new pads,but take those plyers and push back the pistons :wink:

11 reinstall the new pads,and do all these steps vice versa

also to bleed the system,pump the brakes up as hard as you can(don't put the brake to the floor)then start the vehicle and the brake should drop.(if it doesn't drop then you need a new master cylinder)money money

hear you go,the steps for front disc brakes.

i will fix it up a little more

Kyle

It's not a "floating rotor"...we having floating brake calipers. :wink: BTW, like Davis pointed out, you have to turn the rear caliper pistons to push them back in...the tool that makes this job simple looks like a box w/ slots for your 3/8'' drive ratchet to fit into... found a picture for you. http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/3163.gif Also, something I don't think anyone here mentioned...apply anti-squeal gel to the clips on the backs of the pads. The anti-squeal stuff is like $.99 per package and you can easily do ALL the pads w/ it.

Got cash? Do the fronts yourself, take it in for the rears. I've had my car over seven years, done the rears twice and each time I swore I'd take it in the next time. I'll probably do it myself again.....and swear I'll take it in the next time :wink:

Eh, sounds complicated. I'm just going to have my dads friend do it for me. He has a ton of specialty tools and has a lift in his garage [yeah, he had one installed in the new house he bought :shock: ].