Pulling Carpet

slick

Is it pretty much removing the seats, the center console, and trim around the bottom edges? I'm gonna try to start pulling stuff out tomorrow to dye my carpet, and would like to know if there is anything that might just hold me up a bit.

don't think there is anything that ought to hold you up. mabie a little bit of glue? look for your buildsheet while you have the carpet up.

You're on the right track. You also have to unbolt the seatbelts. There's no glue holding the carpet down. On the sides under the door sills there are some clips that hold the sill plates on that need removing. The carpet is notched to fit around these clips. I doubt you'll find the build sheet under the carpet (I haven't found any under the carpet myself) but it's possible you might find it under the seats. The build sheet is the sheet that has all the car's options listed on it so when it's being assembled, the line workers know what to put on the car. Sometimes they leave it inside the car (usually under the seat cushions) most of the time they throw it away...

the buildhseet is basicly a detailed version of your RPO codes, the assembly line workers used it when assembleing the car (from what i understand) it will say what plant the car was made at, all the options, etc.

u don't have to unbolt the seat belts they are bolted to the door. ya u basically got it down, there is no glue holding it donw it should come right out

u don't have to unbolt the seat belts they are bolted to the door. ya u basically got it down, there is no glue holding it donw it should come right out

He was talking about the floor anchors. Some have holes cut large enough so you don't have to remove them, others don't.

He was talking about the floor anchors. Some have holes cut large enough so you don't have to remove them, others don't.

floor anchors for what?

the front seat belts are totally inclosed in the door. the back ones are under the back seat and those don't even have carpet around them. lol

The things you LATCH the belt to next to your seat. THOSE are floor anchors.

haha now i get it. but who would ever pull those out. lol way to much work

people who arent hackers.......

nice comment to a gm certified tech. dumbass. sorry i was thinking of the other side of the seat belt. i guess when u work on cars 45 hours a week u get a lil tired and your mind doesn't work to good.

o and to digitaloutsider. i have never heard them called floor anchors. i call them buckle and teh other part the belt. i guess everyone has there own name for things lol

nice comment to a gm certified tech. dumbass. sorry i was thinking of the other side of the seat belt. i guess when u work on cars 45 hours a week u get a lil tired and your mind doesn't work to good.

and this is why my car doesn't get serviced at a stealership............

and this is why my car doesn't get serviced at a stealership............

damn, thats a comeback!

I'm not sure if this applies to your car or not but just in case...

There may be heater ducting under the carpet. It's would be plastic and runs down the middle and ends under your front seats. There will be vents sticking out of the carpet. If you have them be careful not to pull upward on on the carpet before you pull the carpet up around the vents. The can break easily and they are stuck to the floor so the carpet won't come up with the vents stuck thru the holes.

The vents were easy to come around.

Anyways, now that its all done, im mainly happy that it is covering up a lot of the stains in the grey carpet. It is no means perfect, because if you brush the carpet around, you can see grey. But, it does help a lot by covering the stains, and it doesn't look bad either. This will simply hold me over until i can afford new carpet.

The best way to dye a carpet.

Get your favorite RIT dye color, make sure its the powder, not the concentrate. Add 4 packets to a gallon of hot water, and a cup and a half of acetone. Not the nail polish remover though, additives to make nails strong leave a nasty residue. Now, get a super soaker or a squirt gun with a large tank to make refueling as minimal as possible. Fill 'er up and go to town, make sure you get even coverage, and don't move the carpet until its totally dry. The acetone dissolves the nylon fibers and allows the dye to set very nicely. Any odors in the carpet will be replaced with acetone smell, so I'd recommend a good course of febreeze after everything is dry.

There you all are, feel free to dye the world....with acetone.

Hope it helps~Ben