New Windshield

slick

Today, my car is at the glass shop getting a new windshield. When i got the car, there was a very small crack where the mirror is mounted on the windshield, and a chip in the glass too. Well, the last couple of weeks, its been hot and cold, and my stereo hasn't helped. I cracked the hell out of it. So, I'm getting a new one installed for $205.XX. Anyone else get a new windshield installed before? If so, is this a pretty good price? I know thats cheaper than what it cost to replace the door window in my GP.

Mine has a nice crack goin up the DEAD center.. Been there since I bought it.. It was ok though because it was goin to the pass. side.. Well.. Now its swingin back toward the left.. LOL.. So a new one is in order :P But yea, I also want to replace all the glass in the doors because it has deep scratches.. When tint gets done, that will look like horse shit, lol.. Yea, about 300 plus insurance hikes if you do it that way, lol :lol:

it had a crack by the mirror? hmmm. never saw it ever. i did know about the rock chip though. when i went to buy the car i test drove it and it wasn't there when i picked it up 2 days later it was there. i was kinda pissed

Mine was $125 installed (I gave the owners of a glass shop discounted pizza all the time when I delivered for DomiHO's. 8) ) Also, find out where they get there glass. I was talking to the owners of this company, and they told me that some places make their own glass, and most of it's shit. They use OEM glass. I'll try and find out who's glass to stay away from (the p/o of Black Sunshine put 3 windshields in her. :shock: ) He said on a hot day, he would come out, and it would be cracked. Hmmm, the car is black, imagine that. He finally learned on the 3rd one. But alas, one day he forgot. :lol:

Cost for me was FREE. The insurance covered it because a rock hit my winshield and resulted in a nice crack. It would of been around $350 to replace.

I used to work for a company called Safelite Autoglass 2 yrs ago so I know the whole price thing with windshields. Of course its inflated when it comes to an insurance job. Say it will cost the insurance company $300 to replace the winshield...if you didn't have insurance then they would charge you anywheres from $150-$250 depending on what company does it. I know that my Cutlass winshield cost on the average(what the company actually pays for the glass) about $50. Then they charge for the labor which jacks the price up. These autoglass technicians make about $35(insurance job) a window after its all said and done. Bottom line is that your paying about $150 in labor cost for that window. It takes the average window tech under an hour to swap out the glass. No wonder these companies make so much money :roll: .

mine was about 125 also.

I paid my guy on the side, along with buying the glass from another company. 2 of my GFs brothers work at the local auto glass warehouse, and so I got it from them, and then had their friend put it in. My deductable for ins. was 100, but i figured id just pay the few extra $$ to avoid making a claim

jon

Total came up to $196.xx, not bad at all.

Josh, there was a tiny tiny crack there, almost not noticable. That would have made me mad about the chip in the glass too.