Painting Brake Calipers

WhiteOut

Are painted calipers rice?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are painted calipers rice?

Hmm...I may have made a mistake this weekend. A local auto parts store was closing so they had a bunch of stuff on sale. I picked up a brake caliper painting kit by Duplicolor for like $5. They only had red and yellow available so I bought red. I thought it looked cool on the new GP's so I did mine this weekend, I even went all out and disconected everything when I did them. They turned out great, but the problem is I think I may have just riced my car, and they're making a bit more of a statement than I'd like. Keep in mind I have the stock five spoke rims and some pretty meaty tires. Damnit I need a digital camera to show you guys what it looks like.

I can't decide whether to leave it or paint black over the red so they aren't so loud looking.

I don't think painted brake calipers are "rice." If you like them, then keep them. I might paint mine blue to match all the other things I've painted on my SE since the calipers don't look too great at the moment..either that, or I'm going to paint them a "glossy" black.

i would like to paint mine black. the painted calipers on the w-body.com site look really good.

Which ones are those?

I painted my front calipers red. I just used red engine paint from Wal-Mart. I don't think it looks bad, kind of goes with my red and silver theme. You can see it in that thread where I got a wheel on. It might be rice, but I don't care, after all, GM paints calipers red from the factory (Bonneville GXP).

On the other hand, I think I would have picked a different color if my car weren't red.

I painted mine GM blue on my cutlass. Ive noticed most of the Rice burners Ideas on thier cars are stolen from things we used to do on our muscle cars. :D

Which ones are those?

these look really good:

http://www.w-body.com/images/94rearcaliper_install7.jpg

Ah, those are my rear ones. The brackets are black engine paint, but the calipers themselves were "Cold Galvanizing Paint". It's kind of cool looking, very sparkly, but not glossy.

I'll be repainting those red because my wheels are silver.

I painted mine GM blue on my cutlass. Ive noticed most of the Rice burners Ideas on thier cars are stolen from things we used to do on our muscle cars. :D

Now that you said that...I remember when I used to paint the brake drums on my cars when I was a teen. And those were true MUSCLE cars...Firebirds,GTOs, Chevelles...and so on.

Now that you said that...I remember when I used to paint the brake drums on my cars when I was a teen. And those were true MUSCLE cars...Firebirds,GTOs, Chevelles...and so on.

and now you drive a w-body...

:joke:

Red rules above all! Once i get rims where you can actually see the calipers, i'm painting mine!

Hahaha...yeah I plan on doing that too. I call our type of rims "hub-rims" cause they are in fact rims but you can't see the calipers or rotors like with hubcaps.

i have a red car w/ red calipers and hubs. my spoke rims show off way too much, and showing off rusty crusty calipers isnt in the cards. yellow calipers on anything, however, is rice.

I painted mine white to match the car, i like it. I still have to redo the backs, only prob is brake dust piles up real nice on the white color. I used 5000 degree engine paint.

Guest TurboSedan

I like the black rotors better than silver. I haven't redone the fronts yet.

looks nice :)

are your inner hangers for your rear sway bar welded and/or modified? i installed my Addco bar yesterday and am probably going to have to weld some hangers to the frame rail (so the bar hangs a little lower).

I painted calipers red, brackets black, rotors silver, but rotor "hat" in black. If you paint the rotors, you don't really have to mask anything. Any paint on the rotor surface wears off real quick.

IMG_0417s.jpg

I have been thinking about painting the calipers on my STE, but I can't decide what color would look the best. With a Maroon car, a red really wouldn't work, because it would clash. I was thinking Blue...but I'm not sure how good that would look, and if I painted them black or silver I think they would look stock. You can't see them now, so it doesn't matter, but I hope to be getting different wheels soon so I want the calipers to look good.

Shawn