Anyone ever use the "high mileage" oils

92gransport

I've been thinking about trying out the "high mileage" oil and was looking for opinions - is it worth the extra $.50 per quart over the regular oil? Does it do what they say it does?

i used max life because i have a small oil leak leaking onto the rear of the oil pan, and it is still there, so i went back to the regular stuff

its not what brand of oil you use, its how often you change it.

i just changed over to penzoil high mileage oil, a very welcome change from the valvoline i have been useing, oil burning has gone down quite abit.

Someone told me its a great alternative to Synthetic for high mileage cars, and you save $$$. As long as I have my SE and it doesn't leak or burn, its getting GTX. Drive hard. :P

the max life in my car has sealed my leaks :D

My 1990 Spirit ES with a 3.0L Mitsubishi motor leaked pretty good from the rear valve cover and the camshaft end plugs...with Max Life after 4 oil changes it is still moist but no drips anymore!! 8)

Guest Anonymous

Castrol GTX can suck my twig and giggleberries. I switched from Pennzoil to Castrol in my TGP. Not even a mile away from home I hear a rod knock. The next day after listening to the knock get worse I changed to Mobil Drive Clean blend. The knock all but disappeared.

I'm still undecided on the "high mileage" oils but I am now a firm believer in RESTORE. I used to laugh at it and thought anybody that used that crap was a moron but a friend who is a retired mechanic convinced me to give it a try in the ol' LeSabre. After the suggested 500 miles I didn't feel any difference but at around 1,000 I could tell it was running more quietly and my oil consumption was cut in half. I also noticed a slight ncrease in MPG's. It will roll over 156K on the way home from work today and I am now confident I can get another 100,000 out of it at least. I drained a couple of the cans to get the leftover stuff out of them which was about a tablespoon worth and put it in an old lawn mower I'm trying to nurse one more season out of. The rod noise quieted noticeably and it doesn't smoke near as much when you fire it up. Laugh if you want and argue as much as you like but I'm convinced the stuff works. I wouldn't put it in a newer car but if you have an oldie it definitely won't hurt...........

Guest Anonymous
The next day after listening to the knock get worse I changed to Mobil Drive Clean blend. The knock all but disappeared.

Soooo It got worse with the Mobil?

No, the knock got worse with the Castrol. Then I changed to Mobil.

BTW, I typed that real slow since your slow to comprehend. :lol: j/k

I use the high mileage valvoline and noticed a little less oil burn. I'm not convinced its worth the extra$$$$$$ :? .

neither am i, espically considering it costs over twice as much as the regular stuff

Guest Gp crazy

well the lucas stuff. I used it to put my engine together & i think it worked really well i primed it & the oil was sticking to everything. that i could see anyways.

Also i have a friend who has a 88 jetta with 456,XXX miles on the original motor in it and with lucas it burns half as much oil than it use to and the lifter ticiking has gone away! thumbs up to lucas. 8)