Question about radios and such

john99gtp

So. For those that havent heard, good chance im picking up a 99GTP tomorrow (w00t!).

The GTP has steering wheel controls, and if i put an aftermarket radio in, will they still work? Or should i just stay stock.

If its model dependant, i have a Rockford Fosgate RFX9000 head unit.

Thanks for the input.

John

The controls will not work with an aftermarket headunit unless you purchase that PAC interface from ClubGP .. or almost any place that sells car audio.

If the car has a stock CD player, I'd just stay stock.. especially if you aren't HARDCORE with car audio. A buddy of mine runs his system off his stock headunit and it sounds just fine.

If it has a stock CD deck, Ill take it!! lmao.. And yea, that adaptor will make it work!!

I have heard only bad things about those adapters, but that was a little less than a year ago. Maybe by now they finally can get them to work, but last time i checked you were taking a big chance. The people I talked to at best buy said there are two different types, one of which was a 50% chance of working, and once installed you couldnt return it. The other was a laser thing like a remote control, but if your steering wheel wasnt pointed right at it, it wouldnt work. He said it would also cost a decent amount in labor to get them lined up just right. IMO, i wont buy one until I KNOW for sure it will work in my car.

Don't listen to these guys!!! I purchased the SoundGate Remote 1.5 V4 from Logjam Electronics. Simple 3-wire hookup. The IR emitter mounts beneath the radio. It works fabulously with my Pioneer DEH-P7600 and 95 Regal SWC's. This unit never needs programming unlike the PAC unit. Simply set a few dipswitches, connect to power, ground, and tap into the data wire, mount the emitter and away you go!

I wish Soundgate still offered the old GMSW1. It didn't even need IR, it would plug right into a DEH-P7600MP (or any Sony/Pioneer stereo with the minijack for a wired remote).

I wish Soundgate still offered the old GMSW1. It didn't even need IR, it would plug right into a DEH-P7600MP (or any Sony/Pioneer stereo with the minijack for a wired remote).

I was kinda pissed when I first got the Remote 1.5V4 cause that's what I thought it would do, too. Turns out that the plug only works with Alpine units :dammit: . I cheered up when I got the thing to work. Mounting the IR wasn't really that bad.

I like how they have it programmed; my HU has separate buttons for switching to Radio or CD- the Soundgate will alternate between the two functions when you press the "Source" button on the steering wheel. Let's see the PAC do that!

I was also wondering about the GMSW1 (esp. after the 1.5V4 wouldn't plug up to the 7600.) Soundgate didn't list that unit as compatible with my car, so I didn't shop for it.

I have heard only bad things about those adapters, but that was a little less than a year ago. Maybe by now they finally can get them to work, but last time i checked you were taking a big chance. The people I talked to at best buy said there are two different types, one of which was a 50% chance of working, and once installed you couldnt return it. The other was a laser thing like a remote control, but if your steering wheel wasnt pointed right at it, it wouldnt work. He said it would also cost a decent amount in labor to get them lined up just right. IMO, i wont buy one until I KNOW for sure it will work in my car.

You heard wrong then.

All they are is a little interface with an IR sensor that you place somewhere in the car where it has good sight of your headunit's IR sensor. I have one in my TGP and it worked flawlessly.

One wire for 12+

One wire for ground

One wire for the steering wheel data

That's it. Program it with your remote control and your done.

You heard wrong then.

All they are is a little interface with an IR sensor that you place somewhere in the car where it has good sight of your headunit's IR sensor. I have one in my TGP and it worked flawlessly.

One wire for 12+

One wire for ground

One wire for the steering wheel data

That's it. Program it with your remote control and your done.

Well in that case, I might have to try one when I get a new deck later this summer.