Is it possible to make a car KEYLESS?

gmrulz4u

I've recently been thinking about this since I had my new alarm installed in my Cutlass.

My new alarm is an FM 2-Way system with remote engine start, trunk release, keyless entry, and even window up and down control(had to get seperate modules).

So I started having this wacky idea of making it so I wouldn't always have to take my keys everywhere I go...and instead just have to carry the pager remote. Right now if I use the remote starter, all I use the ignition key for is to turn it to "RUN" once I get in the car.

So besides the obvious things like, what if the trunk release didn't work, what if the keyless entry didn't work, and what if the remote start didn't work, what would I do etc...but disregarding these obvious factors, is it actually possible to do? And if so, is it extremely hard or pretty simple?

THANKS!:)

So you dont want to carry your keys, are you going to leave them in the car? I would just carry a spare door key in your wallet. Just get a flat key (without the plastic crap around it) in case your battery goes dead. That would be my idea if you just want to carry the remote.

Why wouldnt it be possible? As long as your batt. is good your keyless will work. If your batt. dies then use door key that is in your wallet.

Oh OK...I forgot to mention, for those who have never used a remote starter, that you can't JUST use the remote starter and that's it...when you open a door, you have 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition and put it to "RUN", or it will shut off automatically and alert the FM pager...

So THAT's the problem...I guess I could just ask the guys that installed it if it is possible to by-pass that? But then I wonder how all the interior lights and everything will know when to turn on?

See, it sounds simple but is very far from it...

Get one of those hide-a-key deals and magnetically stick a key on your car somewhere. I know lots of people that do it. I don't understand what the problem is I guess. Why can't you just get in the car and turn the key on? Hell, just leave the IGN key in the ignition. Jump in and turn it on. Or put it in your ashtray.

Yeah I guess I'm not really making myself clear or something...

I just want to start the car with the remote, get in the car, and drive away. I don't want keys to come into play at all! Only unless something goes wrong...

I want to be driving with NOTHING in the ignition switch...no keys...nothing...

Now does that make sense? Right now, starting the car with the remote just starts the engine and activates the Electronic Climate Control...but that's it...it doesn't turn lights on, the dash on, the radio on, nothing...so it's not like starting the car the remote is anything similar to starting it with the key...

You don't really want to do that. It will make stealing the car pretty easy. But anything is possible. If you are having someone else install it, they will NOT, do it. You will have to install it yourself, unless you know them. I can't say exactly how, but it's possible. When DVD players came out, they would only activate the screen in the front seat when the E-brake was one. (So the driver couldn't be watching DVD's while he was driving.) Well, they got around that, so I'm sure it's possible (just wiring and trickery) Good luck.

Are you planning on shaving the door locks? Or just the convience of not having to use the keys only..

Cause if you shave your locks, battery dies.. how will you get under the hood? :lol:

I know that...but you guys are missing the point I think...I know I can leave the key hidden in a million different spots...but that's not what I'm getting at...

I need to make it so that the ignition switch is basically by-passed...and that everything, like the dash, head and tail lights, etc. still receive their commands to turn on even WITHOUT putting the key in and turning it...same goes for the shifter...I think that unless you put the key to RUN, you can't shift out of Park...

See, this is what I'm talking about...I already have it so that I can Start the car, but now I just need to be able to do all of the other stuff as well...

You'll run into some issues there. I get where you're coming from, some new caddy's and vettes have this system.

Problem 1. Your steering column lock. Your wheel will stay locked unless you turn the ignition switch.

Problem 2. The safety features in your remote start. It's timed to only run for approximately 10-20 minutes, right? Better make a lot of short trips, buddy. How will you prevent the brake switch from stopping the engine? That's a mandatory safety feature, and a programming input on some, like Astrostart (the brand I install). Astro also uses a rev-limiter in the remote start module that will kill the engine if it goes over 3K rpm, although I believe that can be shut off.

Problem 3. The obvious battery problems, what if your transmitter gets lost, breaks, or the battery dies.

I guess I think it's more trouble than it's worth, especially using the remote start. If you absolutely need to not have to use a key I'd hook up a toggle switch to turn on your ign/acc. circuits once it's started, and disable the steering column lock. Then you'd still need to use the remote start to start the car, and flip your toggle stiwtch. Then once you hit your brakes the remote start kicks off but the switch keeps it going. You'll need some relays to keep all the correct circuits alive yet seperate.

Well this has gone on long enough, but it's an involved ordeal. Have fun getting it to work, and let us know if you ever go for it.

it should actually be fairly simple. you would have to either remove your ignition switch, or fix it so it is always in run. but having it in run all the time would obviously kill your battery. so then you would have to install a switch to toggle power on or off. then i can't be sure whether your remote start would work outside the car...

You also will not be able to shift out of Park unless the ignition is on. We contemplated leaving Key interlock off on the LTE when we converted to floor shifting, but it made it seem really easy to steal the car with that disabled. Plus, you don't want all keyless. There's a reason we've kept keys as long as we have. Yes, it's cool, but once things start going wrong, that will be a major pain in the ass.