Grand Prix STE Premium Sound/"Gain" button.

RareGMFan

Ok, odd problem. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this or has suggestions. The gain button on the door of the STE was working fine when I bought the car. I could actually hear a pretty significant difference when I raised and lowered the button. Well, the little amber indicator inside the button went out a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, raising and lowering the button isn't doing anything anymore. I tried swapping the switch itself, AND the amp behind the stereo. Still nothing. What else could it be? Is it from the amp? Is it possible both the amps I have were bad?

Sounds more like a wiring problem. The light went out on mine and I haven't replaced it yet. But the switch still works fine.

Guest Gp crazy

well it could be the amp? But i think maybe some where you lost a ground or a blowen fuse.

If you had any work done to the car like the batt replaced or alt. replacment or maybe you jump started another car with radio on with out knowing it just may be you burnt up a wire when the other car started and sent 24 volts right to your radio just a thought check all the wires and plugs for hot spots and melted plastic 8) good luck and start with the easy stuff first :D jeff b good luck let us know what you find out i own an STE. If ever have a problem like that i would like to know where to start :idea:

could be the amp if nothing's coming out the speakers

Oh, there's still sound coming out the front ones. Just not as loud as they should be. I just installed Shawn's old CV 6.5" speakers. Too bad I can't enjoy what they're capable of. :cry: When I put the fade all the way on the fronts, the sound isn't very loud at all. If I unplug and replug in the amp, I do here a difference in the back. Guess I'll have o start screwing around with the wires and see. I'm also going to try installing the HUD next weekend, so I guess I'll check it out then.