Replacement Convertible tops?

Fmr12B

Looking at a '95 Green/Tan Two owner car tonight. 123K miles asking $4,100. Owner says its in need of a new top. Says, no issues just starting to look a bit raggedy.

So who here has put a new top on there Cutlass?

Price?

Difficulty?

Source?

I checked the web, found prices from $150 - $700 depending on material. Vinyl is not sounding good for $150.

Professional job using vinyl runs around $500-600, cloth is around $900-1000. You can pick up the materials yourself for around $100-400, depending on material. You can save money by reusing the headliner and rear window strip.

Its definitely not a do it yourselfer job. Even professional shops have a hard enough time of doing it right so I can't even imagine the frustration of trying to do it yourself.

As for a source check with local upholstery shops, especially those who do work on boat covers and other canvas work. They're usually pretty skilled since boat covers are also a PIA. Definitely do your research first though.

Places on the net are selling the complete top in fabric for $400-$500

Its that difficult to remove the top and slide it over the assembly?

I mean I'm not making the top, I just want to install it. Hell for $600 you get a fabric top with glass window with defroster in it.

Well, if you want to try it yourself more power to ya. The worst that can happen is you end up having to take it in to get it done. Its just not something that I'd want to mess with since you run the risk of tearing a very expensive piece of cloth/vinyl. It would definitly be at least a two man job to get the thing stretched and into place properly, so if you've got a buddy, patience and some ambition go for it.

I'll be getting a top on my car this spring. I'm leaning pretty hard towards black "sailcloth". The sailcloth is a few hundred more than vinyl, but I really like the looks of it.

I'm guessing I'll have between $1000-$1200 installed with a tinted window w/defroster.

I'm also looking to do my top soon. I also noticed lately my top needs a little help going up if left down all day long. Let us know the pricing when you get it done.

I redid the top on my 91 Firebird. It took me 15 hours to do it but it ended up fine. If you have any mechanical skill I say go for it. I found my top at http://www.topsonline.com Also, I wouldn't worry about tearing the top as the sailcloth canvas is pretty tough stuff.

Good Luck

90GP LE

91 Conv. Firebird[/img]