Should I just replace BOTH axles?

gmrulz4u

My drivers-side axle/driveshaft is on it's way out. It is making really annoying knocks and clicks when turning.

The price for a trade-in on new/re-built shafts is $117(Canadian).

Now normally I'm one of those guys that ALWAYS replaces both sides of things whenever there is two. For example, I needed a new ball joint and just replaced both. I needed a new tie-rod end and just replaced both. I needed a new torque strut and just replaced both etc.

So I really WANT to replace both axles right now, but after installation it will cost me $360(Canadian). Which is normally not a problem but right now I just found out that I need a lot of brake work done, again!! I swear I have to replace all my pads and rotors EVERY YEAR!! So if wasn't for the fact that my pads only have a few more weeks of life left on them, I would just replace both axles, but now I don't know what to do...

What should I do? Should I just replace parts AS they go bad and stop assuming that when one side goes the other is right behind??

THANKS GUYS!:)

i'd do it as money allows, if the one side is still fine wait till you can afford to, brakes are far more important then a new axle when it comes to you stoping. i'd just do the one side to start with then once money allows the otherside, however you might want to inspect it, check the boots make sure they aren't cracked or riping or leaking, on ly ciera i had one of the boots leak for awhile then once day it exploded all over my engine bay :lol: :lol: . i noticed that the other one was leaking, so i replaced both of them.

I like to do things in pairs too, especially light bulbs but in this case I'd do the axle that needs it then the brakes and then start saving for the other axle.