E-check soon... worried

GP1138

Did your car pass E-Check the first time?  

1. 1. Did your car pass E-Check the first time?

• Passed with flying colours!
    • Barely passed! :oops:
    • Failed by *this much*
    • Failed miserably, the piece of shit!

I just got the title for my Grand Prix transferred to my name from my dad's, which automatically flags my car for an E-Check. I'm kind of worried, I checked the site and it says if I get a CEL or SES light, I automatically fail. My car likes to idle high and set off a Code 35 because of the IAC after about a minute of sitting...

Anyone had good/bad luck with getting your car E-Checked?

I was freaking out the day my GP was up for it's E-Test. My exhaust was a total patchwork and the day before my local mechanic misheard me and didn't give her a full tuneup.

I swear it was like Exam day at school I was so nervous - I was already trying to decide what would need to be replaced after they gave me the "conditional pass".

In the end, she passed easily - I was surprised. I think it all depends on how the test gets run.

Remember to warm it up fully before the test and driuve around a bit before and you might be surprised.

Worked for my GP!

Phil.

tear apart your cluster and pull the bulb for the ses light, take the test, put it back in

might want to add to your poll: "What E-test??"

If your so worried take a blow torch and heat up the catalyic convertor really good, it will make it pass. My car passed because I drove it around for awhile to really warm it up.

when did he have it done last? they e-check isnt limited to owner, its good till a date even if you bought the car and the previous owner had it done. anyway the SES auto fail is for OBD2 only. if you have pre OBD2 and you set the SES light do not let them fail you, it was right on the card they sent me reminding me to go get reamed out of $20 (e-check is discrimination against the poor) "if you have a 1996 or newer vehicle and your SES light comes on you fail automatically" it says. if you pass the sniffer you pass.

i have yet to have my car tested with the 3.4, i did the swap right after i passed with the 3.1 - but i doubt i will have trouble. i've never failed including my old 88 pickup that i took up there on a mix of 6 year old and new gas, no cat, and it had sat for 6 years prior to me getting it tested.

= i've never failed including my old 88 pickup that i took up there on a mix of 6 year old and new gas, no cat, and it had sat for 6 years prior to me getting it tested.

:lol2:

I just got the title for my Grand Prix transferred to my name from my dad's, which automatically flags my car for an E-Check. I'm kind of worried, I checked the site and it says if I get a CEL or SES light, I automatically fail. My car likes to idle high and set off a Code 35 because of the IAC after about a minute of sitting...

Anyone had good/bad luck with getting your car E-Checked?

Haven't had a failure, but some readings were a bit high for the car - probably high enough to keep it out of California.

As for your car, it almost sounds like mine, except it's done it in the winter, and it's due to it being a bit low on the rpms*. Has it been just in the high rpms at idle, and is this just when the car isnt warmed up(or at all idles)? I know my car isnt a GP, but the problems seem oddly similar, since it took about that long for that light to come up, albeit twice in an Ohio winter.

* This happened after the car has had a case of the crazies of a bad ECM that has been replaced long ago - multiple code 53's, speedometer reporting zero speed while in full motion, high idles, stalls at idle, and a transmission that does not so smooth downshifting after the accelerator's released to show for it after repairs.

wait since when did they do e-checks in Ohio?

Since the mid 90's, and only in some counties. Should have added another option pair: I dont have E-Check, and I'm [in/not in] Franklin County. Last time I remember, they were exempt (details?) despite having Columbus, a major city (not just due to it being to the state capital).