Secure your fixed antennas

Mizouse

Just t hought I would bring this up. A few days ago at work, a guy came in asking for a pair of pliers because his girlfriend locked her keys in her car. I wasn't sure what he was going to do at the time but I went along with it. We got out to the car which was a early 90's Cutlass 4 door, and he told me that she does this quite frequently and that he has an easy way to get it. He takes the antenna off with the pliers and feeds it down through the door seal and down to the power unlock button. I never realized how easy this is to do until I saw him do it in about 10 seconds. Kind of made me nervous, because I realized how easy it was to do. Has anyone else heard of or done this?

Umm weres the attenna on a Cutty 4 door cuz that would be really freaking far, considering the button is all the way to the front and I know on coupes its in the rear.

-Tony

Heres a funny antenna story. I was camping with a bunch of friends and my G/F at the time. The people we were with was my friends from High School. We all slept in our cars cause we had no tents. My friend Dave had a 80 FORD Bronco and FORDS when you open the door the locks unlock. He had to piss early in the morning and when he got out he left his keys in the ignition. When he shut the door the door relocked. He had left his window down about an inch. I had a 85 Firebird at the time. I got this bright idea to take the antenna off and see if I could get the keys out of the ignition with the antenna. Well I got the antenna on his key ring and started to pull out of the ignition...when they came out the tension on the antenna was like a spring and flung the keys across the Bronco and inbetween the seat and right door!!!!! :lol:

i locked myself out of my car while "parking" with my g/f. we got out at one point and for some reason she locked the doors (habit cause i always tell her to lock it when we go places) so needless to say i left my car running with the keys in it in the middle of winter.

well i know the lock on the z34's is on the door, and there would be no way to get in with-out the car running. well i eventually looked ath the antenna, and gripped my teeth while i took the antenna off. it hurt like hell but i did it.

well i squeezed the antenna between my doors, and pressed the power window button down. woot, saved a call to her rents and we continued to do what we do best.

i didnt know the door was that easy to pull back at all...i wouldnt think so.

this is quite a bit harder if you have a power antena....since you would have to pull the cable out too. My power unit broke, so im switching to a smaller (one of the 1.5 foot ones) one.

Thise woulda helped the other day...locked the keys in the car, and locked myself outa the house! I tried breaking the glass on the door, no go. Tried climbing into my window...but the ladder was to tall, and car was in the way. Ended up taking the trim off (with a cheap putty knife I found) one of the windows i was going to break, and since it as so old, didnt have ANY sealant on it! So..glass slid right out...and reached in and unlocked the doors. Then had to find my other key fob.

jon

I like the dipstick idea... would be much easier to fit in there! I've tried before with a clothes hanger to unlock a Sunfire, but I wasn't able to.

I keep an extra key on my wallet and have never locked myself out. :)

How are you supposed to get the dipstick out from under the hood if you've locked yourself out of the car?

another car?

Wouldn't that be a strange conversation. "Excuse me sir, could I borrow your dipstick? I locked my keys in my car" I guess you could just have a hood release on the outside of your car somewhere, I know people who have done it.

Wouldn't that be a strange conversation. "Excuse me sir, could I borrow your dipstick? I locked my keys in my car" I guess you could just have a hood release on the outside of your car somewhere, I know people who have done it.

on older cars there isn't an inside hood release

I always found that stupid. So easy to steal parts off the engine, or drop sugar in the carb or something. Wonder what year they all had the hood release?

I always found that stupid. So easy to steal parts off the engine, or drop sugar in the carb or something. Wonder what year they all had the hood release?

i'm not sure, thats a little before my time. the mustang (1969) doesn't, but the tbird (1987) does