Smaller wheel diameter

sdwhite

I will bother you kind W-body folks one last time today. The time will soon arrive for me to replace the 225/60/16 Regul 80K mile tires I've got on my '93 Cutlass Supreme S. The 16" rims on it I got right after I bought the car (it needed new tires then, anyway). In the next 15K or so I'll have to get another set of tires. Might it be better for me (as far as 0-60 times) to go back to the 15" steel rims and get a set of low(er) profile tires to reduce the tire diameter and make it easier to turn? Would this result in a fuel efficency decrease/increase? Any thoughts?

If the rims and tires are bigger than what you had stock, then you will loose some tq. Id imagine for better times youd want to go back to the stock wheels, or smaller if you want. Unless you want to shell out some serious cash for some super light wieght 16 or 17" rims.

essentially going smaller would bring your RPM's up so decreased mileage would result. but if the wheel is lighter the rotational mass would be less resulting in increased or same mileage.

You are also completely throwing your speedometer's accuracey right out the window. If you want to save a bit of gas, go with a narrower tire.......less rolling resistance and a bit more aerodynamic.

If you want to use those 15s.........215/70/15 is about the closest you can get to the stock overall height.

If you want better 60' times either get better (NOT shorter) tires or make power!

actually stock size is 205-70-15 OR you can run 215-65-15 and your speedo will be off around 2.7% which isn't anything to quack at anyway. I personally think the latter size looks pretty damn good on the 15"ers

I never claimed the speedo would be FAST, but thanky for stating that. And anyone putting 215-70-15 is out of their freaking mind, that tire is too tall.

My custom Regal came stock with 205/70/14 tires and wheels. Now those 14's will give you your added rpms. Never having extra cash, I still have stock 14" wheels but with 225/70/14 tires giving me about the same circumference as 225/60/16's. You'd think that would be a size short but trust me, any bigger will rub.

Any older plain Lumina or Regal has 14's. About 93 or 94 went to 15's

[hijack]

Are 225/60/16's the stock tire size for the 16" Euro rims? when I bought mine they came with 215/60/16's.

[/hijack]

- Justin

Might it be better for me (as far as 0-60 times) to go back to the 15" steel rims and get a set of low(er) profile tires to reduce the tire diameter and make it easier to turn?

When going to a smaller circumference, the engine has to work harder to get the car up to speed. Harder working engine equals decreased lifespan of the engine.

smaller tire size will give you a little quicker of the line, but you will lose a little top speed because of it. give and take either way.