Problems starting?

Pselus

so when I bought my car the dealer said there was a "dead spot on the starter"...and he was right...you'd go to start the car and nothing would happen (you'd hear a click and that was it) then you'd turn the key back and start it again and it would start beatifully...

well after I got the car I had the starter replaced and it worked wonders...but now (14,000 miles later) the problem is back and 10x worse...sometimes I can't get my car to start for 10 minutes...other than that my car runs amazingly...

so any ideas? is it just my starters going bad? anyone had this problem before?

You might want to re-check all the heavy gauge wires going to the starter. The battery terminal cables in the battery post and to the ground.

Clean them and make sure they are tight.

Make sure that the starter bolts are tight.

What happens if you try to start the vehicle in Neutral?

If the vehicle starts better in Neutral, the problem you might have is the Neutral/Park Safety switch and probably just needs adjustment.

My El Camino is tearing up starters. My problem is I have 12:1 compression and a stock starter isnt going to keep going to start it....I have to get a high torque gear reduction starter.

My Lumina went through a phase where it went through a starter every 6-8k miles. Although it seems to be ok now, I have what sounds like the same problem you have.

It actually has nothing to do with the starter. It's a faulty ignition switch in the column. Sometimes it's cranky enough that it won't start at all, so I have to get someone to hold the key in the start position while I crawl under the car and jump the posts on the starter with a screwdriver. One of these days I'll get around to replacing the switch, it's just PITA to pull the column apart.

- Justin

If the vehicle starts better in Neutral, the problem you might have is the Neutral/Park Safety switch and probably just needs adjustment.

problem with that is when the car is in park and not started...I can't put it in Neutral....won't let me

problem with that is when the car is in park and not started...I can't put it in Neutral....won't let me

If you turn the key to the run position and press the brakes it should let you shift it into neutral.

- Justin