Anyone know the proper tire pressure ....

92gransport

.... for even tire wear on a '92 Regal GS with the 225/60R16 tires? The sticker on the trunklid says proper pressure is 30 psi front & rear, but that doesn't seem to be enough. I have 32 psi in them now but they still seem to be wearing on the outsides, not enough in the middle. Should I go to 34 or 36 for better wear? What do you guys run? I'm not very familiar with these type tires, I'm more used to the older style taller sidewall tires where you get good wear at around 32 psi.

I do have a '92 Camaro Z/28 Convertible with 235/55R16 tires and the recommended pressure of 30 psi seems to work well for wear on those.

Guest Gp crazy

no more than 35 psi! check them cold for best results . i have 215-60-16 & run 34 in mine. check that all front end parts are ok i.e. ball joints, tie rods-iner + outer. also i found that a strut bearing can cause tire wear if their stuck or frozen & if they are your turing the the spring instead of the bearing which makes for a stiff steer & quick return steer & you may twist your wrist if not carefull! just my thoughts jeff b

I run 35 in my Ws, both have the 16" rims. I don't have any tire wear problems, and the higher the psi you use, within reason, the less rolling resistance and the better the fuel economy.

I always set to max tire pressure rating, 44 psi in all my tires, it's a little bit if a rough ride, but they are waring evenly, and offer good cornering performance.

--Dave.

Tire wear also has a lot to do with the suspension and its condition. You may have bad struts, which would cause uneven tire wear, typically cutting or shaving the middle of the tire before its time. I run 30 psi in my 245/50/16's on my TGP. I bought BRAND NEW tires last year, with new struts all around, I have even wear on the rears, but the fronts are showing their mileage much faster than the rears. I was running below 30 for a while because I get better grip on take-off, but my buddy '99 Grand AM GT, needs struts bad, and his tires show it. Very little wear except in the middle of the tire, running 32-34 psi.

I run my front tires at 35 psi and my rears at like 32 psi. I rides very well, except that all my struts are blown... Yeah... :roll: Good old Gabriel struts.... I hate those struts with a passion. When I get around to it, i'm looking in to getting KYB struts. :)

What does the sidewall of the tire say? Tire technology has come a long way since the early and mid-90's when 32psig was standard. You should see on the sidewall a Max inflation when cold. The 205/60/15's on my Spirit ES says max pressure of 44psi cold. I run 40-42psi in them all the time. The 245/50/16 on the TGP were the same 44psi max cold. I ran 42 in them all the time.

Just because your door panel or owners manual says to run 32psi doesn't mean that the tire that is an aftermarket not OEM tire should be run at 32. Many tires will fail because of a lower psi in them because of heat buildup. Now the comfort of the ride may be stiffer because the tires have more pressure in them...but your rolling resistance will be less because the tire is "Properly" inflated... 8)

*edit*...if you have more wear on the shoulders then you have too little psi in them. More wear in the center means too much psi... 8)

While all of this is pretty well standard advice, remember that the door and trunk panels specify what is standard for the original ride comfort. Even the Goodyear RS/A's that originally came with my 95 said Max Pressure 44 PSI on the sidewall, but the ride sucked at that pressure. The door panel and truck lid specified 32 PSI...I stuck to around 34 PSI and the ride was comfortable.

In the end, it matters what kind of ride you want most for the kind of driving you'll be doing. If you want a decent ride, the 34 PSI you mentioned will give you that. If you want better performance with less rolling resistance and stiffer sidewall support to offer better corning, the wear will occur anyway, at what ever pressure. More so at higher pressure.

You can always try each pressure setting yourself by testing them on the same stretch of road. What ever you're comfortable with is what's best for you, so long as you don't exceed the limits specified of the tire.

the wear will occur anyway, at what ever pressure. More so at higher pressure.

How do you figure you would have more tire wear at higher pressures? With a higher pressure there is less heat buildup in the tire and the contact patch is smaller. If you are drag racing with higher PSI you will spin the tires more causing it to wear quicker...but normal everyday driving I don't see your logic... 8)

My personal preference is higher pressures for better handling and fuel economy... 8)

I stay at 32-35 PSI... Here's some advise.. is you like the car to handle better in the twistes, try setting the rear at 35 PSI and front at 32 PSI... The higher pressure at the rear tend to act like a Stiffer spring rate, abnd the lower pressure on the front helps traction going INTO the turns.

the wear will occur anyway, at what ever pressure. More so at higher pressure.

How do you figure you would have more tire wear at higher pressures? With a higher pressure there is less heat buildup in the tire and the contact patch is smaller. If you are drag racing with higher PSI you will spin the tires more causing it to wear quicker...but normal everyday driving I don't see your logic... 8)

My personal preference is higher pressures for better handling and fuel economy... 8)

My point was a tad back farther here: "If you want better performance with less rolling resistance and stiffer sidewall support to offer better corning..."

What I meant to suggest was that if he preferred higher performance driving, the higher pressure will be better...and of course, he'll have to deal with heat and wear anyways because they'll obviously wear faster under these driving conditions than normal, every day casual driving.

Dat's all.

Anyone can go with what ever tire pressure they want, so long as it's not too low, or not too high. Everything in the middle is based on what comfort the driver wants in every day driving...for clarity, I mean the majority of every day drivers. Not enthusiasts.

Dat's all.

Anyone can go with what ever tire pressure they want, so long as it's not too low, or not too high. Everything in the middle is based on what comfort the driver wants in every day driving...for clarity, I mean the majority of every day drivers. Not enthusiasts.

I understand... 8)